Am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

13Fox150

5 Year Member
Ok, I know that torts aren't the most active and exciting pet out there but I'm starting to get worried. My young Redfoot does not leave his hide unless I take him out to feed him. Not rarely, not once in a while, never. When I take him out to feed he picks at his greens a while and goes back to the hide without eating much.

Details: Very young tort, about 2-2.5 in carapace length.
75 gallon terrarium
Food is a mix of greens that I got from care sheets on this site + "tortoise bites"
Water dish/bath, always kept fresh
Repti-bark substrate (plan to change with more of a dirt type substrate.
Heat gradients from 75-95 during the day, 70-75 at night.

Am I doing something really wrong here or am I being overly worried. Thanks for any help, feel free to curse me out if I'm doing something stupid. Thanks again.

-Justin

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
No potty mouth here....

I suggest trying different foods...to encourage his eating... and those tortoise bits, he will not like, i suggest remove them..they have a icky odor

How long have you had him?
Have you soaked him?

I also suggest getting his weight, so you can monitor it, since he isnt eating...

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I am not a tortoise expert, but it seems like TFO keepers who know, recommend high temperatures for their Redfoots and especially hatchlings. You may just need to raise the heat a bit. :cool:

And I hope your humidity is fairly high! ;)

13Fox150

5 Year Member
I was concerned about the Tortoise Bites in the beginning myself but he actually eats those more than the greens, that's the only reason I haven't thrown them away.

I've had him for almost a month, not long. I do soak him but I might not being doing it right or frequently enough. He does climb into his bowl every once in a while but not for very long. I will research the soaking requirement right now, and try to find a scale small enough to weigh him. Thanks.

Also, I do mist the enclosure pretty heavily every day. Should have put that in the OP.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Justin you've done what you have been instructed by who knows how many sources(?).

This has produced good results for mine.. http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

READ everything.. it's not difficult.. but it takes attention to details!

I suspect too much light and temps shouldn't be that extreme(?).

Keep us posted...

Terry K

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Redfoot Nerd's most important comment was sort of hidden in the post. I'd like to stress it again:

"I suspect too much light and temps shouldn't be that extreme."

13Fox150

5 Year Member
Terry,

Thanks for the care sheet, I just read it....twice. There is a ton of good info in there. After reading that and your post I immediately thought "too hot, too bright", then Yvonne came in and really hit it home, thanks Yvonne. I have a lower wattage heat bulb that I'm going to put in right now as well as increase the amount of misting I do, I'm also thinking I'm too dry. Thanks.

-Justin

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
temps shouldn't be that extreme - meant - TOO high and TOO low!

If you are using light for heat that's why you are getting those extremes!

A heat emitter can be adjusted to low to mid 80's - 24/7 - consistent - be sure you understand how that works thru the link.

O.K.?

Terry K

13Fox150

5 Year Member
Terry,

The heat bulb is also the light, and there is an under tank heater as well. I will look into the heat emitter though.

That being said, I changed to a lower wattage bulb, the temps are down to 75-80 and he is out walking around, almost immediately. This NEVER happens so I assume that the temp and light differences helped (it's much less bright as well). I will continue to tweak his environment but I think you got me going in the right direction. Thanks again.

-Justin

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another success story! I just love to read those.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Terry... you seriously need to dial it back. You are not the only RF keeper out there. You are good but you are not the best. Anyone who claim such really does not have a clue.

From what I read the keeper was instructed... obvioulsy by you. It seems that it is not working.

First... what was the source of the RF? Is it a farmed or cb animal from a breeder.

Second... although the temperatures were listed... what is the range at the substrate level?

Redfoot NERD said:
Justin you've done what you have been instructed by who knows how many sources(?).

This has produced good results for mine.. http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

Keep us posted...

Terry K

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona
-EJ said:
Terry... you seriously need to dial it back. You are not the only RF keeper out there. You are good but you are not the best. Anyone who claim such really does not have a clue.

From what I read the keeper was instructed... obvioulsy by you. It seems that it is not working.

First... what was the source of the RF? Is it a farmed or cb animal from a breeder.

Second... although the temperatures were listed... what is the range at the substrate level?

Redfoot NERD said:

Keep us posted...

Terry K

Ed your right. He isn't the only Redfoot keeper. But I would have to argue that your attempting at an ego battle. Terry obviously knows what he is talking about, because the situation at hand was immediately solved using terry's knowledge base am I not correct? I also cannot recall anywhere that he claims to be "The Best" but rather showing what works for him and the results he has gotten from them. He must be doing something right because his torts are amazing and many many people look to him for answers to those oh so many questions new owners have. I have yet to see something regarding his "Advice" be anything but close to providing optimal care for this species of Tortoise.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
There's no ego battle here... Terry is way more successful with the RFs than me.

I think I expressed that in my post and explained my opinion quite well.

Defiant said:
-EJ said:

Redfoot NERD said:

Keep us posted...

Terry K

Ed your right. He isn't the only Redfoot keeper. But I would have to argue that your attempting at an ego battle. Terry obviously knows what he is talking about, because the situation at hand was immediately solved using terry's knowledge base am I not correct? I also cannot recall anywhere that he claims to be "The Best" but rather showing what works for him and the results he has gotten from them. He must be doing something right because his torts are amazing and many many people look to him for answers to those oh so many questions new owners have. I have yet to see something regarding his "Advice" be anything but close to providing optimal care for this species of Tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.