Am I doing something wrong?

MFekete

Thanks for all the advice. I have attached pictures of what I'm going to purchase. And I have a lid from the container I'm going to put on it but my other question is for the lights do I continue to put them on the screen? Or are they to high up? Do I need to some how rig it to where they hang from the lid and do the lights go all on one spot together out different Spots? Do yall care to post some pics of your enclosures? And I actually already have a CHE for heat

Attachments

• 1439890133816.jpg
    1439890133816.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 1439890143974.jpg
    1439890143974.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 15

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
So you're gonna use the Mercury Vapor Bulb? Cool.
It depends on how far away from the top of your guys shell the light is. If it is closer than 16 inches while on the screen, then you will need to hang it higher until you have 16 inches between the bulb and the shell. It also depends in how hot the bulb makes it immediately underneath it where it is pointing. If it is too hot, you will need to raise the bulb until you reach the optimum temps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for all the advice. I have attached pictures of what I'm going to purchase. And I have a lid from the container I'm going to put on it but my other question is for the lights do I continue to put them on the screen? Or are they to high up? Do I need to some how rig it to where they hang from the lid and do the lights go all on one spot together out different Spots? Do yall care to post some pics of your enclosures? And I actually already have a CHE for heat

I have two of the Exo-Terra thermometers. Don't waste your money. They are terrible.

The lights a best suspended from over head so you can adjust them up or down to get the right temperature under them. Everyone's enclosure is different, so on;y your thermometer can tell you if they are at the right height.

Basking area should be off to one side and the CHE should be over the middle to maintain ambient all over.

MFekete

OK so I fixed this now he has a lid all the time hoping to keep it warmer. And the mercury bulb has been ordered and I have a CHE ordered and all are 16" from the shell. And I got the screen you buy at pet store what should I get?

Attachments

• 1439950386450.jpg
    1439950386450.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 13

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
OK so I fixed this now he has a lid all the time hoping to keep it warmer. And the mercury bulb has been ordered and I have a CHE ordered and all are 16" from the shell. And I got the screen you buy at pet store what should I get?
Screen blocksUV Rays

In that case you're gonna want to remove the screen lid and just hang the lights there using a lamp stand or something similar.

MFekete

And all I had running last night was the CHE and temp rested at 75ish is that suitable? And with the basking bulb will there be with heart produced? I'm waiting to see results

Mortis_thetortoise

west central Florida
Is the water dish big enough for him to climb in and soak when he wants?
Is that a red bulb I see? What kind of bulbs are you using? Take the red bulb out, it can confuse them to the point where they eat the substrate, and I think it can hurt their eyes. How are you keeping humidity up?

noobie here too. got the red "nighttime" lamp. no longer using it, i could tell she was instantly confused and didn't know what was food or not. VERY helpful tip

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
And all I had running last night was the CHE and temp rested at 75ish is that suitable? And with the basking bulb will there be with heart produced? I'm waiting to see results
Not warm enough yet , minimum of 80 ! A little higher is better . You may need a CHE with higher wattage if you cant get it any lower . When Speedy was inside I took the dome off and let it hang in the tank by the chord . But my set up was totally different .