what am i doing wrong?

lilscoots

Location (City and/or State)
arizona
12115550_10207341936740702_5014936750122900393_n.jpg

this is an old pic so please bare with me. i did turn Donny cave around and he does go inside alot :) his water dish is in back corner now . its just a lid.he rarely goes in his dish so i do soak him 1-2 x a day :) his food dish is up front where i can reach it. on LEFT side of tank is a big day white incandescent bulb & I change it out at night for a 50W zilla night black heat incandescent bulb. on RIGHT side is a all living things 13W desert compact fuorescent UVB bulb. on that note... what am i doing wrong? he is a very good eater. and i am doing my research on his diet. (spring mix and i heard no fruit. but he loves them). i have been to nursery (home depot) to see what i can buy there and plant at home. should i just put soil in now & start growing something in his home or wait? he seems like a very happy baby & loves to watch me in the kitchen..lol my main concern is the heating because its getting much cooler in house at night .. and his lighting . thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The compact is it a coil type? If so get rid of it they cause eye damage. Change the black bulb for a Che no light just heat. What is the humidity? Water dish needs to be deeper a clay saucer that is used for under flower pots. More substrate would help and put the water dish so it is level with the substrate. Also read Toms threads linked below in my post for all the help you should need to set his house up properly. Is you can add some plants, chemical free ones that would be nice for him. Make sure they are tort safe

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
I am new to this also.

But I see repeatedly that the dial temperature gauge or humidity gauge you have is very in accurate and could be off enough to cause problems for the tortoises health.

lilscoots

arizona
The compact is it a coil type? If so get rid of it they cause eye damage. Change the black bulb for a Che no light just heat. What is the humidity? Water dish needs to be deeper a clay saucer that is used for under flower pots. More substrate would help and put the water dish so it is level with the substrate. Also read Toms threads linked below in my post for all the help you should need to set his house up properly. Is you can add some plants, chemical free ones that would be nice for him. Make sure they are tort safe

the light is not coil. and i just checked the humidity and its at 40% which i know... is way way to to little. ( another reason i posted my concerns) ok so new night lamp, no light, just heat . and more sub.. got it. and ill read the links thanks. guess im not doing too bad.. lol should i keep him on bark or should i put soil in ? he is about 2 months now

lilscoots

arizona
I am new to this also.

But I see repeatedly that the dial temperature gauge or humidity gauge you have is very in accurate and could be off enough to cause problems for the tortoises health.

what do you suggest? i heard something abt a timer? that would help me out alot since i work and i can't always count on everyone to change the bulbs out

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

the light is not coil. and i just checked the humidity and its at 40% which i know... is way way to to little. ( another reason i posted my concerns) ok so new night lamp, no light, just heat . and more sub.. got it. and ill read the links thanks. guess im not doing too bad.. lol should i keep him on bark or should i put soil in ? he is about 2 months now

Incase you miss understood the no light just heat, I only meant that the Che gives off heat not light. I don't think you took it wrong, I just want to be sure you didn't think no light was needed for you tort. I would add coconut coir if it were me. Your reaching for 80% humidity with temps never lower then 80 and a basking spot of 95-100.
No your not doing bad.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
@wellington will probably be back to post those links that he forgot to add to his answer. lol. so far he said it all. the size of tank that you have won't last long. Because he'll outgrow it quickly. but a tank is really good for keeping humidities up where the baby needs them around 80 percent. make sure you keep his heat above 80 Degrees 24/7. There are actually 4 temperatures you need to watch. Overnight low(80ish), basking spot, warm side and cool side(no lower than 80). I don't remember the others. the best way to keep humidity up is to cover the top with plexiglass or tin foil. you can't put UV through glass and expected it to work . it's effectivness is even diminished sending it through screen. I have a 24" tall tank that I have hung my lights and CHE inside of and then covered with plexiglass. Thicker substrate makes it so the humidity stays up because the under layer of dirt stays moist. If the glass stays fogged up in places the humidity is good. Lol. The thermometer has to go. Lol. Those are horrible. I had three brand new ones in my tank and they all read different once I started gettingy humidity up. The digital ones with a probe on a cord work well. They are inexpensive. $15-ish. Once you get it all set its not such work...but then they grow and you need to start over. It's easier 2nd and 3rd time tho. Humidity is necessary because he's a baby. As they get bigger they can tolerate less humidity.

Attachments

• IMG_20151024_171013.jpg
    IMG_20151024_171013.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@wellington will probably be back to post those links that he forgot to add to his answer. lol. so far he said it all. the size of tank that you have won't last long. Because he'll outgrow it quickly. but a tank is really good for keeping humidities up where the baby needs them around 80 percent. make sure you keep his heat above 80 Degrees 24/7. There are actually 4 temperatures you need to watch. Overnight low(80ish), basking spot, warm side and cool side(no lower than 80). I don't remember the others. the best way to keep humidity up is to cover the top with plexiglass or tin foil. you can't put UV through glass and expected it to work . it's effectivness is even diminished sending it through screen. I have a 24" tall tank that I have hung my lights and CHE inside of and then covered with plexiglass. Thicker substrate makes it so the humidity stays up because the under layer of dirt stays moist. If the glass stays fogged up in places the humidity is good. Lol. The thermometer has to go. Lol. Those are horrible. I had three brand new ones in my tank and they all read different once I started gettingy humidity up. The digital ones with a probe on a cord work well. They are inexpensive. $15-ish. Once you get it all set its not such work...but then they grow and you need to start over. It's easier 2nd and 3rd time tho. Humidity is necessary because he's a baby. As they get bigger they can tolerate less humidity.

LOL, he is a she LOL. The links are at the bottom of my post where my name is. Just click on the titles under where it says Toms Threads

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
LOL, he is a she LOL. The links are at the bottom of my post where my name is. Just click on the titles under where it says Toms Threads
Ahhhhhh...I'm on my phone....DUUUUHHHHH! LOL
It's your fault if you get called a he! Wellington sounds like a boys name! Just kidding....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
this is an old pic so please bare with me. i did turn Donny cave around and he does go inside alot :) his water dish is in back corner now . its just a lid.he rarely goes in his dish so i do soak him 1-2 x a day :) his food dish is up front where i can reach it. on LEFT side of tank is a big day white incandescent bulb & I change it out at night for a 50W zilla night black heat incandescent bulb. on RIGHT side is a all living things 13W desert compact fuorescent UVB bulb. on that note... what am i doing wrong? he is a very good eater. and i am doing my research on his diet. (spring mix and i heard no fruit. but he loves them). i have been to nursery (home depot) to see what i can buy there and plant at home. should i just put soil in now & start growing something in his home or wait? he seems like a very happy baby & loves to watch me in the kitchen..lol my main concern is the heating because its getting much cooler in house at night .. and his lighting . thanks

I will link the care sheet for you, but here are the most important points:
1. Get rid of the compact florescent bulb ASAP. Those sometimes burn reptile eyes and they are not an effective UV source anyway.
2. Quadruple the substrate. Orchid bark is the best substrate for baby sulcatas, so you did good there, but you need a lot more. You can get fine grade orchid bark much cheaper at any garden center. I would never use soil as a substrate.
3. Half logs are fine, but he needs a humid hide too.
4. You need a ceramic heating element set on a thermostat to maintain your ambient temp day and night. You need this in addition to your daytime basking bulb. Put your daytime basking bulb on a timer. You won't need the black light bulb after these changes.

All of this and more is right here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Here is some feeding info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Good luck. Hope you have lots of questions after reading.

lilscoots

arizona
Incase you miss understood the no light just heat, I only meant that the Che gives off heat not light. I don't think you took it wrong, I just want to be sure you didn't think no light was needed for you tort. I would add coconut coir if it were me. Your reaching for 80% humidity with temps never lower then 80 and a basking spot of 95-100.
No your not doing bad.[/QUOTe

ill add some foil on top of screen. i don't have any dirt. don't know where to begin on that one. just bark . ill get rid of the thermo and the tank is abt a 20-30 x 12 w x 12h how do i get humidity up?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ahhhhhh...I'm on my phone....DUUUUHHHHH! LOL
It's your fault if you get called a he! Wellington sounds like a boys name! Just kidding....
I know. When I first joined everyone called me a he LOL. It's actually the street I lived on at the time of joining. I don't mind, I was a tom boy as a kid and some what of one now too.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
ill add some foil on top of screen. i don't have any dirt. don't know where to begin on that one. just bark . ill get rid of the thermo and the tank is abt a 20-30 x 12 w x 12h how do i get humidity up?
Dirt...I meant substrate(what you are using is good) just lots more of it and then pour about 8 oz of water in each corner. You could cover the whole top(lights and all) in foil. Wouldn't be pretty but is effective. Then I would study the @Tom threads that he and Ms. @wellington supplied. Once you get it all memorized it gets easier. I'm not sure that you need a HUMID hide if you keep whole tank humid... @Tom would know.

lilscoots

arizona
I will link the care sheet for you, but here are the most important points:
1. Get rid of the compact florescent bulb ASAP. Those sometimes burn reptile eyes and they are not an effective UV source anyway.
2. Quadruple the substrate. Orchid bark is the best substrate for baby sulcatas, so you did good there, but you need a lot more. You can get fine grade orchid bark much cheaper at any garden center. I would never use soil as a substrate.
3. Half logs are fine, but he needs a humid hide too.
4. You need a ceramic heating element set on a thermostat to maintain your ambient temp day and night. You need this in addition to your daytime basking bulb. Put your daytime basking bulb on a timer. You won't need the black light bulb after these changes.

All of this and more is right here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Here is some feeding info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Good luck. Hope you have lots of questions after reading.

you knew i would :) ok so im the type of person i will usually repeat something so i know im getting it down all right..lol so on that note. the flood bulb should be lowered into the tank alil (for mine) so right under it its abt 100 degrees? and on other side of tank there should be no light since i was told to get i rid of uvb? or am i suppose to get a different one? and since my tank isnt' too big .. where should i be putting his log? his food? his humid box? i need a mental pic :) (now i know why my hubby says im so difficult..lol)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
you knew i would :) ok so im the type of person i will usually repeat something so i know im getting it down all right..lol so on that note. the flood bulb should be lowered into the tank alil (for mine) so right under it its abt 100 degrees? and on other side of tank there should be no light since i was told to get i rid of uvb? or am i suppose to get a different one? and since my tank isnt' too big .. where should i be putting his log? his food? his humid box? i need a mental pic :) (now i know why my hubby says im so difficult..lol)

1.Correct on the flood bulb.
2. You still need a UV source, but you want one that is safe and effective. Mercury vapor bulbs or HO type long florescent tubes work well. Or, if you live somewhere warm and sunny, you can use the sun for free UV. A couple hours of outside time in a safe enclosure per week will get the job done, but an hour or two a day is best for babies. More time outside is good as they grow and gain size. If you have to skip a couple weeks in winter, its no big deal. Light on the other side would be great. We want to simulate daytime outside.
3. You will have to figure out how to fit all that stuff in a small tank. I just use bigger enclosures to solve this problem.