Help there's something wrong with my tortoise

sherlock15

I have a hatchling redfoot which I got in march. He's in a 3ft by 2ft tortoise table with a lid and tin foil on half. His UVB light died a month ago but I have been taking him outside when it's nice. I do have a 100 w che and a 60 w heat bulb. He has a varied diet of greens and I sprinkle calcium on about once a week. I try to soak every day but sometimes it might be every other or every three. His humidity never gets below 60 and I try to keep it at 80 above. His temps are 78-80 on cool side 80-85 on warm side and 73-78 at night. He was fine until this morning. But this morning he wouldn't open his eyes and wasn't moving. Even after I soaked him. His eyes did open for a little. I changed his substrate it was cypress mulch and moss. Now its repti bark its all I left. I think he might of been getting a respiratory infection. So I lowered the humidity and made his temp higher. But in the last hour his plastron has sunk in a little I'm really worried. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440097590.866832.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440097619.671451.jpg

sherlock15

Ill contact them. He's not making any wheezing sounds or bubbling and no discharge though.

sherlock15

I did lower the humidity and raise his temperature. Is there anything I can do for him tonight?

sherlock15

He was also very active when I took him outside yesterday. I feed him cucumber for the first time yesterday too could that have something to do with it ?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
I did lower the humidity and raise his temperature. Is there anything I can do for him tonight?
Just keep him warm...no lower than 80. You may even want to bump that up closer to 90 but I'll let the redfoot keepers chime in on that part.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Your temperatures were too low for a red foot hatchling. Letting them get under 80F at night is unwise. Make sure you keep him warm and well hydrated.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum. And so should the temperature be for your tortoise: WARM.

At the same time, I'd recommend you take him to a vet, and good luck.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have a hatchling redfoot which I got in march. He's in a 3ft by 2ft tortoise table with a lid and tin foil on half. His UVB light died a month ago but I have been taking him outside when it's nice. I do have a 100 w che and a 60 w heat bulb. He has a varied diet of greens and I sprinkle calcium on about once a week. I try to soak every day but sometimes it might be every other or every three. His humidity never gets below 60 and I try to keep it at 80 above. His temps are 78-80 on cool side 80-85 on warm side and 73-78 at night. He was fine until this morning. But this morning he wouldn't open his eyes and wasn't moving. Even after I soaked him. His eyes did open for a little. I changed his substrate it was cypress mulch and moss. Now its repti bark its all I left. I think he might of been getting a respiratory infection. So I lowered the humidity and made his temp higher. But in the last hour his plastron has sunk in a little I'm really worried. View attachment 144634View attachment 144635
Does your tort spend most of its time in the warm end?

TMartin510

Fremont, California
I would advise replacing the uvb bulb aswell.. unless you take him out 8 hrs+ a day. And when it's nice might not be enough sun or uvb.
Also there's the chance that the uvb bulb you had wasn't reaching far enough down to him. I found out mine was like that, those compact little dome lights really only get 6 inches down and if it's too high then it's not doing anything. My new one reaches 20 inches now and is a fluorescent lamp. UVB Is very important to reptiles and can get since after a few weeks I believe if they don't get enough and also will eventually develop MBD.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
He was also very active when I took him outside yesterday. I feed him cucumber for the first time yesterday too could that have something to do with it ?
No that had nothing to do with it. Keep the temps in the upper 88-89 range while its trying to recover

sherlock15

On Wednesday ill be able to get a new mvb , night bulb and hopefully a new more powerful Che.

sherlock15

So I found a vet about 40 minutes away but my family just bought a car and there's money for school stuff. I might not have enough money to bring him. Is there anything else I could do to help him ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Put some sort of cover over the habitat to keep the cool house air out and the warm, moist air inside. Don't allow the temperature to drop below 85F day and night.

I don't know why the plastron has sunk in, I've never encountered that before.

sherlock15

Put some sort of cover over the habitat to keep the cool house air out and the warm, moist air inside. Don't allow the temperature to drop below 85F day and night.

I don't know why the plastron has sunk in, I've never encountered that before.
I have tin foil over half. I only have the Che at night but it does not keep the habitat at 85 should I keep his day bulb on all the time ?

sherlock15

I noticed yesterday after I brought him back in the house his eyes looked a little swollen. Could his plastron sunken in because of the ri or is it something else ?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Dont worry about the tort not getting air you cant cover too much aespecially since you have to open it daily.