Ibera Greek pairs

Mikeg

10 Year Member!
Hi Folks!

It has been a while since I have been on here. Long story short I moved away for school, and left my tortoises to be cared for by my parents. I separated my pair because all my male ever wanted to do was breed and I was scared he was stressing out my female. Well, now I am in a place where I can finally have my lovely kiddos back again. My plan is to build a 3x5 foot table for my room. However, I want to keep them together instead of having multiple cages, again. My question is... Will my male (if history continues) stress out my female enough to the point of exhaustion or death? I remember reading Greeks should be kept more so in groups than pairs, but I can no longer find a definitive answer. If the aforementioned is true, would another adult female make him more at ease between the two females? Thank you all in advance for the help!

Michael

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes he can and most likely will, specially in that small of an enclosure. Tortoises are better kept in 3, 1 male to two or more females or just one single tort. However, never that many in a table. Multiples in outdoor large enclosure with lots of site barriers and even then, sometimes the male still has to be house separately.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Agree with above. The female will have a poor quality of life.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I think you have your answer above. Maybe you can build a double deck tortoise table? One will stay at their own level?

Mikeg

10 Year Member!
Thank you all for the reply, and I apologize for my ignorance! What do you guys think of a 4x6 foot table? Still not so feasible? I also neglected to state that with this enclosure build, I will be making a railing in the center so I can split the enclosure in half if (or when) my male feels the need to run rampant with his hormones. Thanks!

Michael

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You'll just have two small habitats once you divide it. Might as well plan to stack them and have two of adequate or more generous size. If you want to breed them, allow a conjugal visit in the spring.