Ibera Greek tortoises in tropical climates.

Shelled Nomad

Location (City and/or State)
Laguna, Philippines
Hi everyone!

I'm planning on getting a Ibera Greek tortoise hatchling soon, but suddenly I'm having doubts if I can provide a good life for it. I prepared the following:
  • I started a small garden to provide for its food. Gardening is surprisingly fun lol.
  • I prepared a 65L container, with a 6-inch deep substrate mix of 35:15:50 potting mix, sand, and top soil.
  • 13W 10.0 UVB and a 50W basking light shining down on one side of the container.
  • Thermo/Hygrometer.
  • Cuttlebone, terracotta pots and saucers, flat stones, and maybe some fake plants for cover.
However, I worry that the climate here might be too much. I'm from the Philippines, and the daytime temperatures at my area range from 80F to 90F, and humidity levels at 66% to 83%.
Do I still need to create a closed chamber, with humidity levels being consistently high? Will the tort be able to adapt? Am I stressing too much? Sorry, but I really want to be fair to the tortoise.

Thank you :)

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Location (City and/or State)
Finland
Hello and welcome to the forum!

You have a good start, but I would change the substrate. Most potting mixes and top soils contain fertilizers pesticides and toxic plants (composted) that can be harmful for your tortoise. This is why we don't recommend them. Also, sand is a possible irritant and a blockage risk in captive conditions. For hatchlings we recommend either coco coir or orchird bark (fir bark).

For now that he is still a hatchling, I would keep him in a closed chamber, just to make sure his temperatures and humidity stay stable. He is also still vulnerable to any predators. How large is the floor space in your container?

Have you checked these out yet?

A thread for all new forum members:

A temperate species care sheet:

How to set up a plastic container for hatchlings: