Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I just fed my sulcatas iceberg lettuce. I feel so dirty...

We had left over salad fixin's from last nights dinner so I went ahead and fed it to them. At least I sprinkled some of their tortoise vitamins on it. :)

Just needed to confess. :p

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
LOL ......CONFESS YOUR SINS' MY SON ...... +:>)

It's ok Tom ....Da Man' Upstairs ...gave ya the thumbs up ....
HAPPY SUNDAY !

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hahaha...yummy!

Better to feed the left over lettuce than to toss it.
The only time my torts get iceburg, romaine and spring mix is when I have leftovers or the bag remains are about to wilt and go to the trash ;)

Sent from my VS840 4G using TortForum mobile app

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Tom,

Iceberg is not BAD, it just not optimal, grocery greens are not bad they are just not optimal. No sin committed, unless your posting point was to create one of those crazy threads where people argue with emotion and not facts. In that case, well you are I are already in hell. hahaahhahahahhahahhahahaha.

Will

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It comes to something when the pets are on a more nutritious diet than their owners! :D

You feed iceberg to your family without feeling dirty Tom! :D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Iceberg Lettuce

JoesMum said:
It comes to something when the pets are on a more nutritious diet than their owners! :D

You feed iceberg to your family without feeling dirty Tom! :D

Isn't this a sad truth! Lol

Sent from my VS840 4G using TortForum mobile app

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I can't even eat iceberg lettuce. It's gross. I don't know how I ever did. Ever since owning a tortoise I have quit eating it and have stuck to spring mix if I ever decide to randomly eat a salad.

taiuk10

5 Year Member
You give your tortoise greens thats about to go bad? It's the other way round for me. Fresh stuff for the kids and I eat the stuff that's about to go bad!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG, how could you:( CONFESS:D Your suppose to keep those dirty little secrets quiet:p :D I know I am:D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This one's up there with "My name is .... and I am an alcoholic" :D

Major confessions!

Only one question Tom... was that with ranch dressing or blue cheese? ;)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Iceberg Lettuce

taiuk10 said:
You give your tortoise greens thats about to go bad? It's the other way round for me. Fresh stuff for the kids and I eat the stuff that's about to go bad!

Yes.
My guys eat fresh growing weeds, grasses and plants that grow in their large outdoor pens. Or trimmings from the many things I grow specifically for them.
I don't often supplement them and when I do it's stuff that is better than iceberg or romaine.

I was simply throwing in my 2cents that when my tortoises DO get those greens it's because I have it extra or it is close to wilting and I'm going to toss it. This isn't a regular practice and there is nothing wrong with it
;)
Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
This one's up there with "My name is .... and I am an alcoholic" :D

HA HA HA HAHA MUM"S ..... !!!!!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
HaHa, I guess I need to buy some iceberg lettuce to keep up with the NEW vs. OLD way to keep tortoises. Is this part of the NEW way because Im ready to jump in with both feet. Someone please clarify, Im very new to turtle keeping. Im getting confused is it turtle or tortoise,,, Oh well same thing I guess:D This new info is just a little overwhelming

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Then I should be the worse keeper, I throw them all the bad looking and yellow vegetables, while my families get the fresh one...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Old vs. new? It is more like 'what is the prevailing fad/myth?' What often happens is that someone reads an article or watches a show, takes the wrong information from it, then spreads it to their circle. It spreads further and further, and becomes a new 'thing'.

It happens in all hobbies and areas. The thing about not using pine shavings for rodent or rabbit bedding is based on a misunderstood article about laboratory blood values and lots of hype. The anti-innoculation movement was based on an idiot doctor who screwed up some research then made a name for himself sticking to that story.

Iceberg got a bad reputation when it was half of another faddish diet- the hamburger and lettuce diet for turtles. This horror created very deformed tortoises and did not last long, but it was not because of the Iceberg as such. This is where the whole Ca: P bit got a lot of momentum and of course, Iceberg is low in calcium with a SLIGHTLY lopsided Ca: P of about 0.95:1. This by itself is not a big deal- the Ca: P should be 1:1 or 2:1 over time (depending on which experts you prefer).

It amazes (and saddens) me how many foods have gotten a reputation as either being bad or being almost magically good. Spinach, kale, cabbage, tomatoes, bananas, and so on have gotten undeservedly bad reputations, and things like collards, hibiscus, endive, escarole, and some others are touted as 'superfoods' by various people. In reality, all of these and all other foods have good and bad aspects, and there are dang few greens and vegetables you can find in the store that you just should not feed a tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All that is very true, Mark, and I really appreciate that you've taken the time to type it all out for us. However, what you said in your very first paragraph is more often than not, what happens in real life.

I have found through personal experience that if you even MENTION that you can feed a tortoise lettuce...doesn't matter that along with the lettuce you also named many, many other greens...the new tortoise-keeper (well, maybe not ALL new tortoise-keepers) will key in on the lettuce part of your sentence and pretty soon, because it is cheap and easy, that's what they feed their tortoise.

So I never mention lettuce anymore.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tom said:
I just fed my sulcatas iceberg lettuce. I feel so dirty...

We had left over salad fixin's from last nights dinner so I went ahead and fed it to them. At least I sprinkled some of their tortoise vitamins on it. :)

Just needed to confess. :p

Heh heh ... on the upside, at least there's no oxalic acid or other secondary metabolites in it. Just fiber and water. Think of it as a snow cone for tortoises. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.