Ideas for a Recirculating water dish.

Tanner Fry

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan, United States
Hello I am in the process of building a larger enclosure for my tortoise Clyde. I've always wanted a small waterfall for him that could also be a shallow water bowl. I have a small beta fish tank pump and I've created two models that work but they are just not quite that good. I was hoping that someone smarter than me would give me some ideas! I would prefer it not be larger than 10×10 inches it's an indoor enclosure unfortunately so I wont be able to use the tire trick.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Good luck Russians are very messy

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
use a 55 gallon or greater container as a filter ....... you just need an adequate amount of water to filter , the amount the animal lives in is not important ......... I have 7 adult r.p.manni that live in about 30-40 gallons of water with about 400-500gallons in the filter ...... I think the last time I cleaned it was 3 yrs ago ..........

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It has been my experience with Russians that they aren't interested in going into a waterer. They might "march" through it if it's in their way as they surf the wall, which means the waterer gets filled with substrate, something a filter won't be much help with.

Tanner Fry

Michigan, United States
It has been my experience with Russians that they aren't interested in going into a waterer. They might "march" through it if it's in their way as they surf the wall, which means the waterer gets filled with substrate, something a filter won't be much help with.
Yeah it honestly would have been more of a visual thing for me. It's probably a bad idea anyways because clyde makes it his personal mission to dirty the water as soon as I clean it. The last thing I want is to burn up a perfectly good pump because it got clogged with chips and dirt.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Yeah it honestly would have been more of a visual thing for me. It's probably a bad idea anyways because clyde makes it his personal mission to dirty the water as soon as I clean it. The last thing I want is to burn up a perfectly good pump because it got clogged with chips and dirt.

I’m sure Clyde would destroy all your good effort without a thought. Dang selfish tortoises!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
use a 55 gallon or greater container as a filter ....... you just need an adequate amount of water to filter , the amount the animal lives in is not important ......... I have 7 adult r.p.manni that live in about 30-40 gallons of water with about 400-500gallons in the filter ...... I think the last time I cleaned it was 3 yrs ago ..........
I believe its for a tortoise not a turtle living in water.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
would be pretty easy to keep the water clean with a single tortoise as opposed to multiple turtles ……it's harder to impossible to keep up quality water with small amounts , the larger the amount in respect to waste load the better …...….. I figured the water was a drinking source , although I do know redfoots would appreciate a pond , I would think any tortoise would …… manni bury themselves in the dirt come out and go straight in the water bringing with them any dirt on their shells ….. dirt is good for the filter , dirt actually contains nitrifying bacteria , not a bad idea to put a little in a new filter to help get it going , it seems to help from what I've seen ……….

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I’m sure Clyde would destroy all your good effort without a thought. Dang selfish tortoises!
Yes. Our horses ruin many of our ideas, and Koopa bulldozes things I make for her. She dug up the first water area I built her.
Before:
7CF877C3-54B4-42C7-A879-FFA8B942E397.jpeg

After DDE4421A-9D29-44EA-A6B0-2083615D9573.jpeg

Attachments

• 002A5F85-3B1A-42E9-84F0-639DC3629BAB.jpeg
    002A5F85-3B1A-42E9-84F0-639DC3629BAB.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9