Identify bugs in my enclosure? (UK)

LudusPlus

Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield
Hi,

I've just freaked out because there's bugs in Duncans enclosure.

He did have a couple fruit flies but we had an issue in general over summer here. I bought fly paper for those outside the enclosure.

But what is this bug? I can get great pica or vids so ignore background noise lol...

I've taken the substrate out and soaked it in boiling water because even if the bugs aren't harming my tortoise I really do not like bugs.

Am I overreacting?? They where kinda running around and look different to fruit flies. I'm not sure how to upload the video here.

Attachments

• 20231016_142456.jpg
    20231016_142456.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20231016_142438.jpg
    20231016_142438.jpg
    953.6 KB · Views: 2

LudusPlus

Sheffield
Substrate is coco coir but it came in a bag not breaks and I didn't know I was supposed to do any soaking so it was in there as is

LudusPlus

Sheffield
Will he be okay on just some tarpaulin in the enclosure while the substrate cools/dries a bit? :(

I boiled his rocks and stuff and put them back in and he had a bath while I was doing it. I hate upsetting him :/

For context I can not tolerate stuff like this they really scare me... so far in my life I've had baby snail, rolly poly (woodlice), silverfish and mice infestations in my home(s) and it is so scary to me lol.. sorry if I sound stupid or like a total noob for not even wanting "helpful" bugs

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Some bugs are beneficial. Can't really see what those are. Parasites are definitely not good, like lice, fleas, ticks and mites.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I understand your emotions, but try not to panic and not to stress your tort. You can get of rid them (or to be honest, control their population) without napalm and getting substrate out of enclosure. Duncan will be fine with several hours on tarp or even newspapers.

1. Some insects almost always find their way into the enclosure. You can minimize the chances of that to happed by baking substrate in the oven for several hours (please, look in the forum threads something like "gnats", "baking substrate" for the temperature and timings). Substrate smells and smells bad usually, be prepared.
2. Some insects a less noticeable and obtrusive than others and, what's much better, can control population of other little nasties and clean substrate from food and poop leftovers. These are useful little guys. E.g. springtails. Sometimes owners put them into enclosure for purpose.
3. I can't identify bugs on this photos - but you can read "Similar threads" at the bottom of this thread. I think you'll find photos of bugs from Duncan's enclosure and dozen of methods to stop the infestation.
4. Usually bugs make themselves a lovely place under the food dish (wet dark place with comfort temperature and a lots of food). So you can work on this part - move the dish around, carefully check for food leftovers and so. This unfortunately doesn't guarantee "bug-free" zone.