Identify Species

Dillan

Hi guys,

I was recently given these tortoise by a relative who is no longer able to care for them. they're roughly 8 years old. Can someone please identify the type of tortoise these are so I can take care of them properly. Thank you in advance.

Dillan

IMAG0487.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Sorry, don't know what species our very cute torts are. Am no expert in this field.:(

Ask questions, read care sheets, and....good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. You have a couple of Testudo horsfieldii there. In the U.S.A. we call them russians, or steppe tortoises. In the UK, they call them "horsfield" tortoises.

Here is some care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

They should not be living together. Even if they somehow didn't kill each other and managed to survive together in the past, tortoises, especially russians, should not be kept in pairs.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Sorry, don't know what species our very cute torts are. Am no expert in this field.:(

Ask questions, read care sheets, and....good luck!
Sorry once again: I meant to say "YOUR cute torts" in my post. A typing error. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dillan, and welcome to the Forum!

Your Russian tortoises are much older than 8 years. Your friend may have had them for 8 years, but they look full grown to me.

Russian tortoises need a lot of room to roam. The good news is, they hibernate, so you don't need to worry about a huge indoor habitat for winter (next year, that is).

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Very cute little torts! They look like they could really benefit from some rocks in their enclosure. Russians love to climb (so be careful they don't escape!) and that might help keep their claws filed down. Theirs claws look quite long to me. Best of luck in your tort-keeping! :)

yillt

Definitely two beautiful Horse fields. Watch our for any aggression between the to as it may occur. It's very likely. Welcome to TFO