If the snow takes out the electric what about the baby???

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
It just occured to me as this nasty snow storm is coming down like crazy...what do I do about the baby if the electricity goes out tonight??? They are promising anywhere from4-10 inches of heavy snow after a day of rain and sneet plus dropping to the teens within the next 48.... his tank is in the 90'son the hot side and humidity is fine but I am not sure how an enclosed 75 gal would hold up and how long!!! The dog & kitties have a coat and so do we; Digger seems content under the soil sleeping today....what about the baby???!

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
It won't stay very long. Happened to me early thus morning. It took out my incubator and my babies cage for about 1.5 hours. I made my baby redfoot a small "travel" type cage real quick and put it near the fire place and monitored temps, it worked well(you won't be able to keep humidity but if just just an hour or so its not bad). I just put my incubator by the fire also and it was fine(ish).

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
no fireplace.... I put tinfoil over the "open" grill of my RT's and have all the lights on to "supercharge" the area...hopefully the foil will keep a "lid" on him...maybe if it goes out a blanket around it too. For the baby, same thing... I think if it goes out I will wrap in foil and then blankets....should "insulate" the tank and keep the warmth in if I dont open it up if the house gets cold. We have been fortunate. In the past we seem to have kept it while all of our neighbors lost it (*different breaker for our house on the corner). Fingers crossed...........

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Re: RE: If the snow takes out the electric what about the baby???

Theresa Angeletti said:
no fireplace.... I put tinfoil over the "open" grill of my RT's and have all the lights on to "supercharge" the area...hopefully the foil will keep a "lid" on him...maybe if it goes out a blanket around it too. For the baby, same thing... I think if it goes out I will wrap in foil and then blankets....should "insulate" the tank and keep the warmth in if I dont open it up if the house gets cold. We have been fortunate. In the past we seem to have kept it while all of our neighbors lost it (*different breaker for our house on the corner). Fingers crossed...........

Why no fireplace? Is it bad?

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
One year I when my sulcatas were young I warmed my truck up and kept them in there for about an hour and a half.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Click on my name and go to my previous threads. I had this happen a couple weeks ago. Lots of great suggestions!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yep, stock up on those warmers. Very worse situations, put them in a pillow case and have them under your shirt.

TommyZ

5 Year Member

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Fabulous that all the snowy place tortie people are thinking ahead just in case! Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Yay! : )

You dont know the half...since Sandy kick our butts in NJ, i went wayyy overboard on prep. Got me a generator, 110 gallon gas can with pump to fill cars, heaters, solar panels, 10 year batteries, etc etc.... even sold my Infiniti coupe and bought a new Jeep Wrangler.... as we learned in boy scouts....always be prepared :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
If you've got a gas stove, you could heat bricks or stones in the oven a put them in the enclosure inside a pot, (this way the baby won't touch the hot rocks) and let them radiate the heat in.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA

Cowboy_Ken said:
If you've got a gas stove, you could heat bricks or stones in the oven a put them in the enclosure inside a pot, (this way the baby won't touch the hot rocks) and let them radiate the heat in.

Hahaha, when I saw the little blurb about the latest part on here, I saw ' if you've got a gas stove...' and got super worried you were going to say 'heat the house'!! But the stones are a great idea (and wouldn't result in CO2 poisoning, woo)! I'll keep that in mind :)

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
I love the idesa!! It looks like we missed the 8-10 they predicted and it is still toasty in here.... but I am definitely getting the warmers...... I am afraid it's gonna be a long winter!! lol

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Get some of the 12-14 hour shipping warmers to have on hand in case the power goes out. You could put your tort in an insulated box (the kind used for shipping) and the warmer would keep him nice and warm for a long time. :)

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
couldnt find the 12-14 hour but got the "Hot Hands" that are supposed to go for 10....now should I put something over them- straw? cloth? can they burn him if he sits on them???sorry- just had this emergency last night and my son asked questions I had not thought of (I was away at work and co-ordinating via text!) I have a small coleman lunch boz (1' by1') ....just leave the lid cocked a tad for air????