If you have built a closed chamber please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjr153

5 Year Member
I will be working on my closed chamber this weeked. The only part that I need help on is the lighting/CHE. Being a CLOSED chamber I am assuming I have the lights inside and not sitting on top shining through a hole. How did you put the lights in the chamber? I want to make sure they are well attached so that there is no fire hazard and risk to the Tort. Is the moisture from the humidity bad for the electrical cord being in the chamber? Please help! I want to get this done and the lighting issue is the only thing I have yet to figure out.

cyan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hi,
All of my enclosures are closed chambers. Just make sure you build it tall enough to allow for adjustments of the lights. I have tube fluorescent fixtures attached to the top and for the MVB, CHE and other basking lights, I have dome fixtures hanging inside. I used closed eye hooks to screw into the wood and then hung the fixtures with carabiners. This way there is no chance the fixtures can fall. I only used dome fixtures that have hangers attached to them, no clamps. All of the cords are attached to the top and walls with cable clips. Here is a picture so you get a better idea.
Hope this helps!
Cyndi
IMAG1368.jpg

kjr153

5 Year Member
Cyndi, This is great. Do you have humidity in your enclosure. I have a fogger that allows for it to be 80% at all times. Do you think the electrical cords are safe with the moisture?

abclements

5 Year Member
The cords and fixtures are fine in the humidity. Just make sure you keep the plugs outside the enclosure.

cyan

10 Year Member!
Georgia
The cords will be fine as long as they aren't damaged in any way. My humidity varies per enclosure. My adult pancakes tend to stay around 65-70%, where my Elongated is usually around 80-85%. There is a waterfall in the Elongateds enclosure also to help with humidity. When first set up it was 99% for several days until the substrate dried out some. I haven't had any issues with keeping temps and humidity consistent. I have the CHEs on thermostats and the lights are on timers and only had to play with the settings the first week they were set up. Some have been running for over a year now and I have not had to make any adjustments. Once you get it set up you will be able to just sit back and enjoy your torts.
This is my biggest enclosure. Each level is 6x3x3.
Good luck and don't forget to share pics when you get it up and running!
Cyndi
IMAG2459-1-1-1.jpg

rideburton87

5 Year Member
NW burbs, Illinois
I pretty much did the same thing as cyan. I have a hole drilled in the back for the cords to go through and screwed in hooks to the top of the chamber to hang the lights from which is nice because I am able to adjust the height of the lamps. I built mine 24'' and for me that was plenty tall. I read one of Tom's threads and got my ideas from his chambers although he said he would make it 30'' tall next time..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of the heat bulbs and CHEs tend to dry things out and evaporate moisture. This means the area right around your hot bulbs will be dryer than the surrounding area. I have never, in all my years, had any problems with electrical stuff inside the enclosure. I don't do it with some snake and lizard species because they will climb on them and burn themselves, but that is not a concern with our earthbound tortoises.

Just remember you will need much smaller heat bulbs. You will probably over heat the thing at first until you get everything dialed in. Be careful. People have no idea but about 80% of the electrical heat produced by bulbs on top on an open enclosure just goes up and into the room. That 80% will now be staying IN your enclosure, where you wanted it in the first place.

Also you probably won't need the humidifier any more. My substrate stays pretty dry in my closed chambers and easily maintains 80+% humidity. The lower layers of the substrate are damp, but the upper layers are dry to the touch.

Good luck. Let us all know how it goes.

andy12

5 Year Member
Cyan: Very nice chamber
Tom: how deep is your substrate? is it coir or bark? i'd like to copy that, damp lower, dry upper but still got 80% humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.