I'm a little guy

Nishikigoi's Torts.

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
image.jpg image.jpg Hello, I'm new to the tortoise world and find it very interesting (I would love any advise). With just buying my first sulcata a week ago you could say I'm still learning. I was wondering if anyone had any advise on a type of hide for a few nights I've been using a half log and just recently put a clay pot but, he isn't really interseted in either :(. Suggestions anyone? P.S. He's currently being kept indoors in a 20" x 20"x 36" heavy duty tub, and he's about 2" long.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Put something in the clay pot for him to hid in. Like:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010OXD9U/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Keep it warm and moist for him. These little ones are prey in the wild so the will spend a lot of time wanting to hide. Add a few plants would hlp too. Spider plants and hostas work good. Make sure they are not treated with any chems.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). The two hides you already have are what most of use start out with. If you read Toms threads below in my post for proper housing, temps and humidity you might need to make some adjustments and that may also make him want to go into his hide. Otherwise, you can place him in his hide every night until he gets the idea, or just let him sleep where he chooses.

Nishikigoi's Torts.

Texas
Ok thanks. Going shopping tomorrow for a larger heat lamp and uvb light. Should I get a low grade night time heat lamp to put over his hides? And I've bought three plants from lows a few days ago, so now I have them growing in a separate tub outside for them to get new growth just in case they had any chem. on them. Also his hides contain a water soaked orchid moss as a substrate. Also when I go sully shopping I'll look for a temp. and humidity reader.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chantel

5 Year Member
Yuba City, CA
Welcome! I am new too. Just got my Sulcata a few days ago and I am learning there is a lot of conflicting information out there. I started off with a dry enclosure, but Tom has converted me (in just one day) by looking at the differences in the shells. The torts raised in moist environments look great. It has been fun learning though, and changing her environment to suit her/him better. Hope you enjoy it here!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome. In two year, you would not be little anymore! ! ! !!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Lowes does use chems so you will want to wait six months to a year to be safe. Take a look at this page:
http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp
You may have good safe plants growing in your yard! I got two five plus year old spider plants from my mom that I used when I first got my baby sulcata. She's 15 plus pounds now just shy of two yrs old :)

Nishikigoi's Torts.

Texas
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Update larger more powerful heat lamp, larger uvb, small night time heat lamp (to keep it warm and cozy in his hides), two temp gages, two humidity gages, and as a treat a cuttlebone!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your basking lamp should be pointing directly downwards and not at angle. You won't get the right temperature the way you have it

Nishikigoi's Torts.

Texas
Your basking lamp should be pointing directly downwards and not at angle. You won't get the right temperature the way you have it
I plan on doing something to fix it tomorrow as of right now the light won't tilt anymore because of the clamp.