I'm adding a new burrow.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My adult male R/F lives outdoors in a large pen with a pond and a dog house. He prefers 80% of the time however to hide in a flowerpot that is half buried and is now entirely too small for him to get out of the elements. I just acquired a section of 20" corrugated drainage pipe 24" deep with a capped end. My plan is to cut the bottom off so it's flat and place it onto some 20" square cement slabs with soil on them, then bury the whole thing under soil. I'm going to grow sod on the mound to stop soil loss when it rains. I'm also planning a very slight angle back to front so that water will not settle inside like it currently does in the flowerpots. I'll take photos. I should start it this weekend if time permits. Hopefully it wont be a new neighborhood cat hangout.:mad:

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Sounds like a good plan

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Sounds good, where are you located? Get a lot of rain? I haven't built a big burrow only smaller ones for my smaller species but flooding always te concern for me anyways. I always made the back of the burrow have a high spot incase it does flood least they can stay out of the puddle. But the entrance you have plan should work,

Kyle

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Welcome kitties! :p
To prevent water from pooling in the bottom (and I mean ALL THE WAY to the bottom) I would put a drainage hole, even if you just poke it with a few screwdrivers.
I hope he likes it ;)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The pipe is more or less cut in half, lengthwise and it will be oriented a few degrees down towards the front opening. cement slabs will form the base it sits on and soil underneath and on top. Even in a flood, I think this design will be good.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Not entirely sure drainage will matter. My adult red's seek the lowest, muddy point in their yard….Often this is entirely submerged in water and mud with nothing but the head out. And thats how they like it! ;)

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The cement is probably not necessary. What kind of pipe is it?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
He has a 100% dry dog house. This new, "humid", drained burrow and a mud filled huge planter as well as his water pool. The cement floor is #1 for drainage. #2 for his nails and #3 because it will make keeping it clean easier for me. There are lots of pictures on my "New burrow update" post.