I'm confused :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROFLCHOPTER94

5 Year Member
Here in the good ol us of a I thought desert tortoises were protected and illegial to breed and keep. But after reading the forums quite a few people own one, could I have a little insight please??

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
That's a good question. It does vary from state to state, but generally, for example in Arizona, you are allowed to have a Desert tortoise but it needs to remain in this state..no importing/exporting or sales to outside state. Chapter 2 state law, but you can go to www.deserttortoise.org and click on frequently asked questions and click on laws to protect them. They are not illegal to own, you just have to follow the laws that protect them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ROFLCHOPTER94 said:
Here in the good ol us of a I thought desert tortoises were protected and illegial to breed and keep. But after reading the forums quite a few people own one, could I have a little insight please??

I'm confused by your screen nameand signature line!:p

To keep a CDT in CA you just need a permit. Easy to get. You may not sell them or their offspring, but you may give them away. The new owner must then get a permit too. They may NOT be taken from the wild or ever returned to the wild. Yvonne, Maggie, and Cory all know these rules in much more detail than I do. If you need more specific info, I'd contact them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
In CA they require a permit, free to get. Also you can not on purpose breed them, and once the eggs are laid they are a protected species and you can not harm them or incubate them.

ROFLCHOPTER94

5 Year Member
Thanks so now I understand why so many people own them up here in washington we have no native tortoise species, but when we lived in new Mexico there were lots of tortoises in the mountian areas. Oh and btw the screen name and sig are from the machinima show arby 'n' the chief.

Status
Not open for further replies.