I'm devastated...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your tortoise probably died cause u feed him wrong food cactus has spines do u eat cactus ofc that hurts
Let's not blame people for feeding cactus seeing it's a very good food to feed. You wouldn't want to be blamed if something happened to your tortoise for not feeding the right foods as you dont feed cactus and you should. Spines can be removed. Btw humans eat cactus too.

KSeaman

Washington
So sorry this had to happen. I do hope you think about getting another to add to your house. You never know but this does not sound like something you could have prevented.

Please do share the results you get so we can all try to avoid the same thing from happening if in fact there is anything to be avoided.

It is obvious you are a caring tort person.

sue white

5 Year Member
Central IL
Celina,Now that you understand how your post might hurt someone in a time of sorrow- let me say welcome and please feel free to ask anyone anything that will help you raise the tortoises in your life. When I got my little Redfoot this site was a Godsend .My baby is now 2 Years old and doing great All Tort. owners all have to start learning someplace and this is a great place to start .You're already on your way.You now know about cactus

Moliss

5 Year Member
Springhill, Florida
Hello fellow tortoise friends

I had a 2 year old sulcata that I really loved.. Today as I checked on her I noticed that shes lifeless... the day before everything was perfectly fine no unusual behavior.
I changed the water and food daily
Temperature and humidity were fine
She lived in her setup for 2 years without a problem.. as I investigated I opened her mouth with tweezers and found a piece of opuntia stuck in her throat.. I think that she suffocated to death
emoji17.png

I fed her spineless opuntia since day one...
It's from my own garden so I can 100% say it's pesticide free.
I always throwed in whole pieces so that she has to work a little harder to get it...
2 years no problems... and today..........
I'm heartbroken... she was already a family member...

If I think about all the money and hours of care + searching for the right information I thought I'm totally prepared for everything I guess sometimes u just cant do anything...
I don't know if I should get another tortoise
I don't think it would be the same...
Hello fellow tortoise friends

I had a 2 year old sulcata that I really loved.. Today as I checked on her I noticed that shes lifeless... the day before everything was perfectly fine no unusual behavior.
I changed the water and food daily
Temperature and humidity were fine
She lived in her setup for 2 years without a problem.. as I investigated I opened her mouth with tweezers and found a piece of opuntia stuck in her throat.. I think that she suffocated to death [emoji17]
I fed her spineless opuntia since day one...
It's from my own garden so I can 100% say it's pesticide free.
I always throwed in whole pieces so that she has to work a little harder to get it...
2 years no problems... and today..........
I'm heartbroken... she was already a family member...

If I think about all the money and hours of care + searching for the right information I thought I'm totally prepared for everything I guess sometimes u just cant do anything...
I don't know if I should get another tortoise
I don't think it would be the same...
I am so sorry for your loss. I have never replied to anyone because I’m quite intimidated by this forum. I just want to say that I have a 3yo 20 pound Sulcata that has had a choking episode on opuntia but I was right there. He is a pig and if left to eat it alone he would have died. I only feed one pad 3-4 times a month and I hold it till he’s done because of that. I would have been devastated if I wasn’t there. I’m so sorry.

Kells Bells

Ireland
I am so sorry for your loss. I have never replied to anyone because I’m quite intimidated by this forum. I just want to say that I have a 3yo 20 pound Sulcata that has had a choking episode on opuntia but I was right there. He is a pig and if left to eat it alone he would have died. I only feed one pad 3-4 times a month and I hold it till he’s done because of that. I would have been devastated if I wasn’t there. I’m so sorry.
Good thing you where there just goes to show how these things can happen. On a side note I had to smile when you said you were intimidated by the forum. I was just like that in fact I lurked in the background for months gathering info as I was a new tort owner. But I have found people to be friendly and helpful

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think we are still awaiting the results of the necropsy in this case, and it may not be conclusive. I hope we will soon hear the results.
We are friendly and helpful here, for what I think is the most part!:) Some of us here (not me!) are truly experts with tons of knowledge and experience, and if they sound intimidating, don't most teachers?;)

Heidi Kobera

Sheldon, VT
So sorry to hear of your tort. I just read that Sulcata Torts are vulnerable and am so disheartened to hear this. My Rudy is going to be 9 in August and I love her so much. She’s a member of my family. She’s big. She’s bigger than a 9” dinner plate. I originally got her at around a year old from a parent and two girls from my school bus route and was in love with her from the first. All she ate was romaine then bc I do farmers markets from gardening she eats like a queen.