I'm devastated...

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Your tortoise probably died cause u feed him wrong food cactus has spines do u eat cactus ofc that hurts

Why would you say that to someone ? It’s not nice or helpful . I know English is your second language but still we are here to help people and their torts ! Not to make them feel bad . And your remarks aren’t helping anyone . Sorry for speaking my mind .

hollyandT

Location (City and/or State)
Hull
Your tortoise probably died cause u feed him wrong food cactus has spines do u eat cactus ofc that hurts

I think you my have misunderstood the original post Celina Sam said the cactus was spineless which is totally fine for tortoises to eat :)

Sorry to hear about your sully and I hope you get the closure you need :(

Bee62

Germany
@Sam1993
I am so sorry for your loss.
Please don`t blame yourself for what has happened. Sometimes things happen that are out of our control.

CandyAss

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Escondido
Not cool, man. Have a little empathy. Also, you're 100% wrong. There are species of cactus that are spineless, and plenty of people eat cactus. Google search nopales.

Bee62

Germany
My advice to you @Celina: Learn more about tortoises and their food and post less in threads until you are sure what you are talking about.
Spineless cactus is a very good tortoise food. It was an accident that the tort died from a piece of cactus that was too big that he can`t swallow it.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Celina, although I assume you just want to help, your idea is incorrect. MANY of us feed opuntia cactus to our tortoises. It is a very healthy food that has a good calcium to phosphorus ratio and It is highly recommended. Human also eat the same opuntia cactus! It is very popular in Mexico and other parts of the Americas.
Something else killed this person’s beloved pet. We all hope to see the answers soon!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Celina, cactus (opuntia) is a wonderful and important food item for tortoises. If it has spines, of course they are to be scraped off if they are large or hard at all. We all know that. Almost everyone on this site feeds opuntia to their tortoise if it will eat it. I feed it to my tortoises twice per week at least. Please don't be so quick to place blame where you are not an expert in the matter.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
That is like saying that everytime a person chocks while eating it is their fault. Accidents happen and sadly the happen at the worst of times to the best of people. I am so sorry for your loss and awed by your bravery to get the necropsy to answer this terrible thing. I also hope you get information that can be passed on to other owners that is educational to further strengthen the knowledge base that TFO has become.

Relic

Here
I have spineless growing in my yard, so I have plenty to feed. I have a 2 year old yellow-foot that seems fairly indifferent to it. To try and make it more appealing, I split open the pad, scrape out the pulp/fibrous tissue, cut and mash it up and mix it with other food items. I think we all look forward to reading the report and gleaning whatever information is there to apply to our own husbandry techniques. Don't give up - you are doing a better job (and have more $$$ invested in housing) than the vast majority of tortoise hobbyists...

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wish I had thought about Necropsy when I lost my beloved Leopard female when she was 5 years old. I observed her roaming about her Tortie garden, which I made sure every plant was appropriate for eating, and about 2 hours later she was just laying there dead. It was so devastating, especially when you have gone out of your way to do everything correctly, like you have. I so wish I had thought of Necropsy, because hopefully it will give you answers. I honestly lived in fear for my other Tortoise for quite awhile, because I never found out what happened. I did eventually fall in love with another female Tortoise and so far so good. You will too.

Parlady

Cornwall, UK
Hello fellow tortoise friends

I had a 2 year old sulcata that I really loved.. Today as I checked on her I noticed that shes lifeless... the day before everything was perfectly fine no unusual behavior.
I changed the water and food daily
Temperature and humidity were fine
She lived in her setup for 2 years without a problem.. as I investigated I opened her mouth with tweezers and found a piece of opuntia stuck in her throat.. I think that she suffocated to death [emoji17]
I fed her spineless opuntia since day one...
It's from my own garden so I can 100% say it's pesticide free.
I always throwed in whole pieces so that she has to work a little harder to get it...
2 years no problems... and today..........
I'm heartbroken... she was already a family member...

If I think about all the money and hours of care + searching for the right information I thought I'm totally prepared for everything I guess sometimes u just cant do anything...
I don't know if I should get another tortoise
I don't think it would be the same...
I am so saddened by your loss. You must not blame yourself, have some time to grieve and in time you might like to get another, not as a replacement but to fill the gap that she has left in your heart. Bless you x

AzDesert

metro Phx, AZ

I had a 2 year old sulcata that I really loved.. Today as I checked on her I noticed that shes lifeless... the day before everything was perfectly fine no unusual behavior.
She lived in her setup for 2 years without a problem.. as I investigated I opened her mouth with tweezers and found a piece of opuntia stuck in her throat.. I think that she suffocated to death
emoji17.png

I always throwed in whole pieces so that she has to work a little harder to get it...

If I think about all the money and hours of care + searching for the right information I thought I'm totally prepared for everything I guess sometimes u just cant do anything...
I am

She lived in her setup for 2 years without a problem.. as I investigated I opened her mouth with tweezers and found a piece of opuntia stuck in her throat.. I think that she suffocated to death [emoji17]

Oh, I am so very sorry. I am in tears hearing about it. These are our "children" so I can't imagine your sadness. I'm so sorry. I'll keep you in my thoughts for sure!

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV

I am so sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine being without my shell baby.

Rammydad

Uk
I’m new to here, and tortoises. I’ve researched all I can and do everything by the book, and yet live in fear that something (1 in a million) like this will happen. Sorry for your loss, your choice to get another should be made with a clear head so perhaps grieve, mourn and feel for a bit first. xxx

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I’m new to here, and tortoises. I’ve researched all I can and do everything by the book, and yet live in fear that something (1 in a million) like this will happen. Sorry for your loss, your choice to get another should be made with a clear head so perhaps grieve, mourn and feel for a bit first. xxx

Hi IMG_2223.jpg

Clorenzo85

Sylmar, CA

I’m so sorry for your loss.