I'm frantic--Lickity got out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlotte

5 Year Member
Any suggestions please write to me!
I left at noon today and got home at about 4 and cannot find my desert tortoise Lickity Split. There are signs that she may have pushed her way under a hard metal screen that we have temporarily installed where the fence broke. I can't tell for certain--the area doesn't look as disturbed as i think it should for that kind of forcing her way through. But it does possibly--just can't be sure.
Regardless of that detail...
I searched the horse trail that this fence backs out on to, and encountered many areas/other people backyards where she can go under their fence. It was getting dark and i am ASSUMING at that hour (eventually about 5:30 when i stopped looking) she is asleep somewhere.
My plan of action is to start early tomorrow. I have made fliers and will cover the whole block, firstly those houses the trail backs up to. I have asked people to please search their yards for me. I have offered a reward.
If this has happened to anybody else and you have search advise please help!! I will be hoping and praying all night that she is just hiding in a new place in our yard. Our yard is on the larger side and there are a lot of places to hide. But we looked so hard, over and over....
Please send your positive thoughts my way. She was my mom's tortoise and I inherited her. I have been trying so hard. One of my kitties passed away a couple of weeks ago. Another heartbreak, i can't take it.
Charlotte

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
They hide very well.. start early when the sun comes up, get the news out.. and dont give up.
I recall reading that there is a direction Torts like to head.. South East? When they get out.. can anyone else recall that??
She might be trying to find a place to hibernate.. tiss the season...

Charlotte

5 Year Member
thank you Laura. Yes i think she wants to hibernate, she was moving so extra slow this morning when she came out. I need to remain positive and hope for the best but i'm so upset. If anybody else has heard of the south east thing please chime in!

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
I am so sorry. I hope you find Lickey Split soon. Unfortunately I do not have any advise but not to give up hope and just keep looking. Our thoughts are with you!

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Round up the neighbor kids, set them out on an adventure to help look. Hope you find Lickity, lickity split!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Do you live in the states? You could try posting a message on Craigslist in addition to posting signs around the neighborhood. Thats where I'd look if I found someone's pet.

Charlotte

5 Year Member
I FOUND HER!!!!!!! I walked the trail as the sun was starting to hit it and sure enough she had come out from somewhere, about 5 houses down. Extreme relief....doesn't describe how I feel. Thanks for reading and yes Shelly I was plannning on doing Craigslist--so glad it didn't come to that!!
Happy Halloween everyone--I know I am going to have one now!
:-D

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Congratulations! What a happy ending. I am sure you are enormously relieved! Now make sure you fix all holes/weak spots in your fence!;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just love a happy ending!

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
what direction was she? I wonder if that holds true at all....

If I'm remembering correctly, Felice always says that they go in a north-easterly direction. The two times I found Mutt, he was to the north and west of his pen.

Yvonne

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
You should rename him "Couch Potato" so he won't be encouraged to try escaping again.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Charlotte you are so lucky to have found him. I guess I have to wait until the Spring and hope that my Izzy is OK.

Charlotte

5 Year Member
Terryo, I don't know your story about Izzy. Wish I could help you. There is somebody else around here who has lost one---I'm in San Diego area. Not you is it? I have seen fliers up for weeks, very sad. Thought I was next....*sigh*

As far as the directional question: the horse trail behind the house runs east/west, and she went east, and was sitting on the north side of it when I spotted her. However, in our yard, I have noticed that a corner she frequently tries to bed down in is a south-west corner, and her old abode for 30 years was in a south-west corner. I'd put her house there if I could but it's not a good spot.

My dad was the dork who named her Lickity Split. I think we thought she was a male then.

The broken fence was fixed today! No more jimmy-ing boards and junk around it that Miss Thang can push through!

-C.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I know the heartache and panic feeling of temp losing one. Even if it is in you own yard, let alone outside. I am sooooo Happy you have found her. What a great way to start the Holiday season this year for you. With your baby safely home. Congratulations on finding her.

Status
Not open for further replies.