I'm getting a red footed tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
We dug it out and put in a pond liner and then cement. There is a pump in the deep end of the pond with a tube that goes around up to the little water fall.
Kristina (Kyrayah) and a much bigger one in her enclosure. You can fine the pictures in the enclosure section. You can make a small pond with just some cement. Some people use the lid of a garbage can, and just push it down into the substrate. Or you can get the biggest saucer that goes under a plant pot and use that....the top of a bird bath...etc. There are lot so things you can use when the time comes.

arpooch

5 Year Member
Wow. Thanks. Do you think that I would be ok getting one as a baby? (I've never had a tortoise before nut I am an experienced box turtle keeper.)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If you have boxies and have raised hatchlings, then, IMO, their care is very similar. I also have boxies, and raised my Cherry head the same way I raised many box turtle hatchlings....low light, high humidity, places to hide etc. I found it much easier to raise a Cherry Head RF, than a box turtle hatchling. It was much easier to feed Pio because he ate as soon as I opened the box he came in. He hasn't been picky either. I didn't have to hunt for bugs and worms for this baby. Or...you could go to a rescue near you and ask if they have any Redfoots. My rescue had one last year, and they asked if I wanted one, but I said no.

arpooch

5 Year Member
Do they actually have them at shelters? Oh, and I've been meaning to ask you. How long do they live?

And also, I would like to put some live plants in my turtle table. Can I put some potted plants in there? In the pot?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You mean your boxie table or the one you are making for a Redfoot.
All mine (redfoot and boxies) are outside now for the summer, except for a hatchling boxie. He is in a planted vivarium, with the plants left in their little pots and just put in the substrate. As for how long do they live..redfoots...well, I'm no expert as I only have one, so I couldn't answer your question.
You have to look up a tortoise rescue in your city. I'm in NY and the rescue that I have here had a redfoot last year. I know that Shaun Casy just got a load of Redfoots and other tortoises, but he is going to sell them to get money for his rescue.

arpooch

5 Year Member
Thanks. I mean the one for my Redfoot. Do they have to be buried in the subtrate or can they just be placed on top of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.