Red Footed Tortoise Enclosure

Jdiddle

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello All!

I'm a newbie red footed tortoise owner and just wanting to keep happy and healthy! Terry is about 3 years old, still in his small phase. We have a fairly large table for him, my only issue with this, is it's open topped, and I'm aware they need high humidity as much as possible. We have multiple shelters one a bit cooler and one in the warmer location, in which both are keeping about 80%. However, I'm just aware that the whole enclosure is probably losing a lot from being open. Any suggestions on keeping this humidity, or does it matter if the whole enclosure is humid or is shelters okay? Any help would be amazing, plus any other tips as I'm all new!

EricW

Houston, TX
You would want to go with a closed chamber. About 2 minutes in on the following video is a visual of what that is like.

Also, I would highly recommend reading the following link after the video. Or skip the video and just read this.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
How are you measuring the humidity?
Is the entire room or area 80%?

How you come to get the high humidity isn't important. And a closed chamber isn't required if your location is high humidity. Such as it is here in south Florida.
However, a closed chamber is indeed needed if you are keeping a RF anywhere that is not already humid and warm.

Jdiddle

UK
Just with a Hygrometer in both warm and cooler location. Unfortunately we are UK so humidity is not so naturally high. We manage to get it around 70% by keeping it misted and the substrate moist. I think we'll look to try cover as it being open top will just prove a challenge. Is there anything we can do temporary to keep him hydrated and comfy? The hides have moss and are keeping quite high in humidity within them which is where he is currently so I presume this is why?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Just with a Hygrometer in both warm and cooler location. Unfortunately we are UK so humidity is not so naturally high. We manage to get it around 70% by keeping it misted and the substrate moist. I think we'll look to try cover as it being open top will just prove a challenge. Is there anything we can do temporary to keep him hydrated and comfy? The hides have moss and are keeping quite high in humidity within them which is where he is currently so I presume this is why?
Moss should not be used. It works great at holding moisture. But tortoises will eat it and it is undigestable.
Also. You want high humidity but not wet substrate. Wet substrate will cause fungal issues on the tortoise and possibly in the enclosure.
Misting is futile in almost all cases.