Leopard tortoise vs red footed tortoise

Chrysis

Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
Hello everyone!
I am new on this forum :) . Currently I’m looking to get my first tortoise (already have a few other reptiles).
However I cannot decide on which tortoise to get. I want a tortoise that gets a little bigger than for example the Greek tortoise. Therefore I am stuck between a red footed tortoise and a leopard tortoise (a sulcata sadly is too big and tanky for me, although it think it is the ultimate pet). I really like the look of the leopard tortoise however I have heard that they a quite shy compared to the red footed. On the other hand, the red footed tortoise digs, and requires a higher humidity (which will require more work and Maintenance). The tortoise will be living inside for the first few years and after that it will be able to go outside during the summer (I live in the Netherlands)

What are your experiences and what is you advise?

Thnx in advance!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RFs need warm tropical high humidity climates. They do great in South Florida, but they don't do so well here in dry Southern California.

Leopards are much more adaptable to different climates and will be easier to keep thriving in your part of the world.

You might also consider the Burmese star tortoise. Or how about marginated tortoises?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
RFs need warm tropical high humidity climates. They do great in South Florida, but they don't do so well here in dry Southern California.

Leopards are much more adaptable to different climates and will be easier to keep thriving in your part of the world.

You might also consider the Burmese star tortoise. Or how about marginated tortoises?
I'd also like to ad that Redfoot generally are not diggers

Reactions: Tom

Chrysis

Netherlands

I think the Burmese star tortoise looks amazing, but the availability here is not that good, as a result they are hard to come by and quite expensive. The marginated tortoise looks nice too. But behaviour wise i don‘t think the marginated tortoises are more social than the leopards right?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have two leopards that are social, in different ways. One will come over tl me the minute he sees me. The other doesn't but he isn't bothered by me being around. Has no problem getting nosy if I'm working in his enclosure and has no problem me petting his head, legs, never pulls in.
I vote leopard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
But behaviour wise i don‘t think the marginated tortoises are more social than the leopards right?
This depends largely on the individual, and also on what you do, or don't do with them.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. I have a leopard tortoise. I would check the forum about the diet of each species.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I really like the look of the leopard tortoise however I have heard that they a quite shy
The tortoise will be living inside for the first few years and after that it will be able to go outside during the summer (I live in the Netherlands)

What are your experiences and what is you advise?

I don't have experience with RF but I can tell you my leopard tortoise IS NOT SHY! He's a beast. Territorial, constantly chasing me around the yard and successfully ramming my ankles more than I'd like.
He goes on leashed walks down the street and will eat snacks from anyone's hands. From what I hear, he has Pardalis Pardalis behavior traits. Not sure where the nature vs nurture line needs to be drawn but I also hand raised him doing educational presentations and shows. So, perhaps that contributed to his outgoing nature.

Living indoors, you can raise it in a closed chamber. Once grown, i think it will be easier to care for without the humidity needs of an adult RF

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm jealous. What's it like to have a leopard tortoise around who isn't trying to destroy you? LOL
Lol, oh my Tatum is a sweetie. Such a calm, goes along with anything guy. Billy the one that comes running to me, he is really quite fast for a tort, likes to climb either on my feet or between them. Never has rammed or bit but I don't really know if he would, I move lol.
Your Levi is just letting you know that he loves you, you are his, but that he is always the boss lol.

Chrysis

Netherlands
Oke! Thnx for the replies. So from what I understand it's mostly the way the tortoise is raised. Because then I think the leopard tortoise is the better fit!

Next difficult step, finding a good breeder here.

Thnx for the help!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In the mean time, get the enclosed chamber bought or built and get all equipment needed and up and running so you have everything right for when you do get him.
I would wait til breeders on this forum, who start them out right, have hatchlings available.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Oke! Thnx for the replies. So from what I understand it's mostly the way the tortoise is raised. Because then I think the leopard tortoise is the better fit!

Next difficult step, finding a good breeder here.

Thnx for the help!
I have a great source. She's in TX but ships nationwide when weather is permitting.

She starts them in a humid chamber with a varied diet and has raised the some of the smoothest holdback leopards I've ever seen. She's not often on here anymore @Elohi but you can google her Houghtling Reptiles and she'll pop up. 110% recommend her.