Red-Footed Tortoise or Leopard Tortoise (babcocki)?

Which tortoise makes an overall better pet (read post)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Again, Hi everyone! I narrowed down my search to two sole species. The red-footed tortoise and the leopard tortoise. I just love the larger, but not huge size of the leopards, not to mention their cute "shy" personalities (as babies) but the outgoing personality and again, the beauty of the Red-Footed tortoise have got me stuck. I don't like the smaller (not a small tort though) size of the red-foot compared to the Leopard tortoise, but things can be sacrificed. I live in Ohio, where all seasons are unsuitable for well....anything LOL, except for summer, early fall ,and late spring. My tort will have a large (50-100 sq foot outdoor pen) to romp around in. The winters, early springs and late falls however, have me worried. I can also build/buy a 5x5 tortoise table for my tort, but I will always go bigger. Would 5x5 be alright for a home for a male tort of those species? Which, in your opinion, makes the better pet? Thanks, and feel free to suggest other species, I am open! I ruled out The Mediterranean torts, for their size, and Aldabra, Galapagos, Sulcata, and Burmese Black Mountain torts (still not sure about browns though) for their size as well. Thanks for your help! :tort:

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
RE: Red-Footed Tortoise or Leapord Tortoise (babcocki)?

Tortoise7 said:
Again, Hi everyone! I narrowed down my search to two sole species. The red-footed tortoise and the leopard tortoise. I just love the larger, but not huge size of the leopards, not to mention their cute "shy" personalities (as babies) but the outgoing personality and again, the beauty of the Red-Footed tortoise have got me stuck. I don't like the smaller (not a small tort though) size of the red-foot compared to the Leopard tortoise, but things can be sacrificed. I live in Ohio, where all seasons are unsuitable for well....anything LOL, except for summer, early fall ,and late spring. My tort will have a large (50-100 sq foot outdoor pen) to romp around in.

For an adult Redfoot, you might want a bit larger...something like 150 square feet (10' X 15') is better.

The winters, early springs and late falls however, have me worried. I can also build/buy a 5x5 tortoise table for my tort, but I will always go bigger. Would 5x5 be alright for a home for a male tort of those species?

5' X 5' is OK until it grows to young adulthood (7-8", eventually getting to 12" to 14"), but after that you'd be best advised for something like 5' X 8" or larger, inside.

Which, in your opinion, makes the better pet? Thanks, and feel free to suggest other species, I am open! I ruled out The Mediterranean torts, for their size, and Aldabra, Galapagos, Sulcata, and Burmese Black Mountain torts (still not sure about browns though) for their size as well. Thanks for your help! :tort:

While I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Hermann's fanatic (also like Iberians and Marginateds), I'm still thinking a Cherryhead Redfoot'll suit you well. Very bright, inquisitive torts with a lot of personality.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a leopard and live in Chicago. He is two and a half and will live out side this winter in a well insulated heated 12x8 shed. He is only 8inches long so, he could still be housed inside for winter in a smaller enclosure then my shed for another year or two if needed. If you can afford to build and maintain a heated shed for when he gets bigger go for the leopard. They are fantastic. Not that RF's aren't, I just don't have one of those.

Tortoise7

5 Year Member
Ohio
I decided on a red-foot, Leopards get a tad too large...0_0

redfoot_mama94

5 Year Member
Maine, USA
I recommend checking out n2torts (jd) ... He breeds redfoots, hypo redfoots, and cherryheads. All are gorgeous, well cared for and healthy :) after seeing all his posts, his website and all the people who have purchased from him on here that's where I plan to get my first tort once my little girl gets at least a year and a half or two years old (in nine months pregnant with her, and have a three year old son) oh... And his website is www.tortoisecove.com I believe :)

1.1 human baby's (grayson & mackenzie)
1.1 bunnies
0.1 eastern painted (wendy)
0.1 treeing walker coonhound (daisy)
0.1.5 mainecoon mix (vera & her kittens)

Status
Not open for further replies.