I'm new! Getting a tortoise in a week!

piratepixie26

Hi everyone. I'm new to exotic pets and have done a ton of research on tortoises over the last couple of months and have decided a Hermann is the best way for me to go.

I was wondering if you could let me know anything that might not necessarily be told to me by the petshop that I will need to know. He's going to have a 2ft x 3ft table.

Also, with regards to plants, my mother grows several things in her greenhouse, (sweetcorn, potatoes, carrots, etc) and was wondering if any of the leaves from these would be suitable/toxic for feeding. They're all grown completely organic.

Thanks!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1458073323.192302.jpg
Hermanns Rule ! But forget everything the pet shop said and research all you can here ! Pet shops want to make money, we don't ! Good luck

piratepixie26

Hi! Definitely. The only information I got from the petshop was that they could sell me everything i needed to get started. Everything else i've found out by reading through this website and some others. Also ordered a couple of books on tortoise care too. If i'm going to do this, i'm sure as heck gonna do it right!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Potato plants are considered toxic.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Carrot tops and the corn plant should be fine as part of a varied diet. Carrots and corn themselves should be more of a treat.

piratepixie26

No to the potato leaves, carrot and corn leaves sparingly. Gotcha. What is a recommended perfect diet for a hermann? The pet shop had cucumber in their bowl with lettuce, but i'm to understand cucumber offers no nutritional value.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
No to the potato leaves, carrot and corn leaves sparingly. Gotcha. What is a recommended perfect diet for a hermann? The pet shop had cucumber in their bowl with lettuce, but i'm to understand cucumber offers no nutritional value.
Welcome!!! :D

I'm afraid that they are feeding a bad diet to their tortoises :(
They need a mix of safe weeds and plants. A great place to find plants is http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plant_database_14.asp

A table with an open top won't hold humidity. In order for your tortoise to grow smoothly, humidity is needed. You will need to enclose it to trap the humidity in :)

Also, make sure that the pet shop doesn't sell you a red lamp of a coiled UVB bulb!

piratepixie26

What would you recommend for a substrate for the little guy. I was going to buy a bag of topsoil and regularly mist it. Is there a kind of hide I can buy that would hold in the moisture for it? I've read the caresheet on here, however i'm not sure my local garden centre has the kind of mulch it recommends. I'm in the UK, if that helps at all.

piratepixie26

Hi, thanks!

I have read the care sheet, however this only says peat moss or coir. We've had legislation over in the UK against the use of peat moss so it's not as regularly available. What kind of substrate would you recommend for use in a table. As I said, I will be misting regularly to ensure humidity also.

Thanks.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Hi, thanks!

I have read the care sheet, however this only says peat moss or coir. We've had legislation over in the UK against the use of peat moss so it's not as regularly available. What kind of substrate would you recommend for use in a table. As I said, I will be misting regularly to ensure humidity also.

Thanks.
Hi, I am also in the uk.
Pets at home sell coco choir bricks and Eco earth. Maybe look at that? It's quite expensive though so I just buy big bags of peat. They also sell sphagnum moss which is great for humidity:)

piratepixie26

I'm getting my tortoise from Paws for Thought, and they sell sphagnum moss so I'll pick up a bag of this along with topsoil. what kind of ratio should I mix it in? The substrate they provide at P4T is bizarre looking and I don't think it's right at all. It's some kind of pellet substrate. I would much prefer to have the more natural substrate.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I'm getting my tortoise from Paws for Thought, and they sell sphagnum moss so I'll pick up a bag of this along with topsoil. what kind of ratio should I mix it in? The substrate they provide at P4T is bizarre looking and I don't think it's right at all. It's some kind of pellet substrate. I would much prefer to have the more natural substrate.
You can also order coco choir or Eco earth etc online.
Most people just lie the moss on top of the substrate but if your tort eats it (like my Spud did) you might have to mix it if you chose to use it at all.
I just put the whole bag in and mixed it up.

piratepixie26

Yeah, that certainly seems like the easiest and safest method for it. How often should I mist it with the topsoil/sphagnum mix? Also, is there any recommendations as a daily meal? I don't have a garden and would like to feed my little guy as organically and healthily as possible.

I really appreciate your advice, truly.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Yeah, that certainly seems like the easiest and safest method for it. How often should I mist it with the topsoil/sphagnum mix? Also, is there any recommendations as a daily meal? I don't have a garden and would like to feed my little guy as organically and healthily as possible.

I really appreciate your advice, truly.
I spray mine every time I go into the room but most people just spray a couple of times a day.
As for the meal, I'll try and find a list of weeds. And members on here recommend feeding as much as your tort can eat in 10 minutes.

piratepixie26

Is there any recommendations on food that comes in a bag if the right weeds aren't readily available? Is there anywhere that sells the right kinds of weeds?

piratepixie26

I'm not sure if links are allowed to external sites. I don't think we have that food available in the pet stores near me, but they have something called Komodo Holistic Tortoise food. Could you tell me if that's any good?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I'm not sure if links are allowed to external sites. I don't think we have that food available in the pet stores near me, but they have something called Komodo Holistic Tortoise food. Could you tell me if that's any good?

Ah, you're in the UK? Sorry, I suggested American brands. Komodo is used by UK members but I have no personal experience with it.

piratepixie26

Okay great. This will be what I buy then. Is it the same rule with the bagged food, to see however much they can eat in 10 minutes? Is that just once a day, or does it change with the bagged food? I have a small plot of shallow soil in the garden, which I fully intend to relay soil in and plant weeds to be able to feed this instead during the summer, but it's good to know I have the option of buying bagged food to ensure the little guy is fed properly too.