I'm New

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Welcome to TFO!!:tort: Can you tell us more about your tort and maybe post some photos of it's enclosure?

90Matt

Illinois
Thanks! Lemme get some pics of the enclosure. Shes a2 year-old russian tortoise named Hazel. I got her 2 days ago at a reptile expo.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome from the Desert !
m0754.gif

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Matt and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Hazel.
Nice tortoise
i'm afraid that enclosure is far too small for Hazel, you should be aiming at 4 foot by 8 minimum.
Russians are a very active species and need a lot of room to climb and explore, they have huge territories in the wild.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
as well as http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
to begin.
What's type of bulb are you using ? Coiled ones are bad news.
A shallow terracotta saucer, big enough to soak in is cheap and better to sink into the substrate.
You can use a flat piece of slate, or similar to put the foo on, to stop Hazel eating the substrate and help file her beak.
Spider plants are good to provide interest, help humidity and give the tort a nibble.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello, Matt and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Hazel.
Nice tortoise
i'm afraid that enclosure is far too small for Hazel, you should be aiming at 4 foot by 8 minimum.
Russians are a very active species and need a lot of room to climb and explore, they have huge territories in the wild.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
as well as http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
to begin.
What's type of bulb are you using ? Coiled ones are bad news.
A shallow terracotta saucer, big enough to soak in is cheap and better to sink into the substrate.
You can use a flat piece of slate, or similar to put the foo on, to stop Hazel eating the substrate and help file her beak.
Spider plants are good to provide interest, help humidity and give the tort a nibble.
all of the above is needed asap and he needs a hide somewhere to tuck himself in to sleep and feel secure.
An upturned plastic box with a door cut in - big enough for him to get in and out - would do or a plant pot on its side partially buried in the substrate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Matt!

Your new tortoise is much older than 2 years. She looks to be about full grown to me...older than 10 for sure. They don't get much bigger than what yours is.

A full grown Russian tortoise will not be happy living in small quarters indoors. She needs to be set up outside.

90Matt

Illinois
Thanks for the tips guys! The man who sold her to me said she was 2 and didn't need much space. I'm sad that he misinformed me and he had been housing 3 Russians in an enclosure not much bigger than this. As this is my first tortoise, I probably should've researched their care more. She does have a hide but it was quite large and took up a lot of space in the enclosure so I plan to upgrade to a much bigger tank. The one she is in right now is temporary. Also, I heard that they do not require a water bowl as long as you soak them a couple times a week. Is this true or should I plan to buy a water bowl? As for the lighting, I have a 100 Watt Zoo Med Basking Bulb for heat and a Zoo Med ReptiSun Compact 10.0 bulb for UVA/UVB. It isn't coil-shaped so I don't know if it does damage like the coiled ones. Sorry for all the writing and questions, just want to find out what I can fix. Again I'm sad that the guy lied about her age and now I think she's was probably wild-caught. Any other recommendations would be nice to hear from you all.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the tips guys! The man who sold her to me said she was 2 and didn't need much space. I'm sad that he misinformed me and he had been housing 3 Russians in an enclosure not much bigger than this. As this is my first tortoise, I probably should've researched their care more. She does have a hide but it was quite large and took up a lot of space in the enclosure so I plan to upgrade to a much bigger tank. The one she is in right now is temporary. Also, I heard that they do not require a water bowl as long as you soak them a couple times a week. Is this true or should I plan to buy a water bowl? As for the lighting, I have a 100 Watt Zoo Med Basking Bulb for heat and a Zoo Med ReptiSun Compact 10.0 bulb for UVA/UVB. It isn't coil-shaped so I don't know if it does damage like the coiled ones. Sorry for all the writing and questions, just want to find out what I can fix. Again I'm sad that the guy lied about her age and now I think she's was probably wild-caught. Any other recommendations would be nice to hear from you all.

Matt,

Please read the care sheets that Adam linked for you above. All of this and more is explained in them. Stop using the 10.0 bulb before it damages your tortoises eyes.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Soaking is necessary, but it's also good to supply your tortoise with a cheap, shallow terracotta saucer sunk into the substrate so the tortoise can drink and soak itself when it feels like it. It will also help a little with the humidity. I think that bulb is one of the bad ones that either damage torts eyes or don't put out enough UVB. Take it back and exchange it. You either need a flourescent strip uvb light to go with your basking light or take the basking light back as well and purchase an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) which combines heat, light and uvb in one.
Don't be sorry, it's terrific you're here asking questions and learning like many of us have done and that you're willing to make changes. There's a lot of bad information and unscrupulous people out there. Not your fault.

90Matt

Illinois
Im gunna switch to a MVB. I'll also check out the care sheets.
Any ideas on what size I should make my indoor enclosure? And, any tips on how to make an outdoor enclosure?

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Im gunna switch to a MVB. I'll also check out the care sheets.
Any ideas on what size I should make my indoor enclosure? And, any tips on how to make an outdoor enclosure?
Minimum 4 foot by 8 foot. Bigger is alwaaaaaays better, though.
You can use stone (cinder blocks, stacked paving stones, etc), wooden boards, vinyl sheets & PVC pipe, etc. I'll add some sample pictures.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439948925.847276.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439948941.696073.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439948956.585050.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439948968.446846.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439948980.807787.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439948995.248233.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439949017.188413.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439949048.824192.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439949110.076073.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439949173.035240.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439949200.572893.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439949222.085060.jpg