I'm Panicking Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando
My two young red foots (3 months) have extremely soft shells mostly on the bottoms of their shells.

I have been treating them both for mild shell fungus with an athletes foot cream (lotrimin) not sure if that could be causing it too.

Their diet is great I have followed the turtletary care sheet almost to a T.

What can I do to help these soft shells I'm panicked right now. :(

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
I don't have a UV light in their enclosure I have been taking them outside for about an hour twice a week. I am going to go to Petsmart tomorrow and buy a UV light though to see if that may help.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
buy a powersun uvb. 100 watt
and if they were mine i would put them outside for that much each day.
what are your daily temps like in FL?

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
Powersun 100 watt uvb? Alright I will get that tomorrow first thing. The temps are fine for them to be outside more I've just been busy with work but I am going to bring them out more for sure.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Have their shells always been soft? or are they going soft? if they are going soft then it is serious and will require drastic measures, but if their shells have always been soft, then they are probably needing more sunlight and calcium. Also what are their ages?

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Deff. get them outside!
Natural light is best! If you can get some sort of secure enclosure I would leave them outside during the day.
In leu of that, the Powersun will help a lot. Also I keep a cuttle bone (like you give to birds) in the enclosure so the can regulate calcium intake and I suppliment with TNT from carolina pet supply
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/ca...=221f0dbc6782a0d1314ea981f22cbb6e&keyword=tnt
(WITH PROBIOTIC) works wonders.

For an outdoor enclosure in a pinch I use a cement mixing tub and a wire mesh (or screen) top.

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
I have a cuttlebone in their though they never seem remotely interested in it. I will take them out more and get the MVB bulb first thing tomorrow morning.

dmmj said:
Have their shells always been soft? or are they going soft? if they are going soft then it is serious and will require drastic measures, but if their shells have always been soft, then they are probably needing more sunlight and calcium. Also what are their ages?

They were always a tad on the soft side to my liking, but they are for sure softer now.

From the quick research I have done I think they need more UV light to acquire more D3.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
keep us posted....the uvb and natural light should help!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If they are getting softer (only you can tell for sure) then they are using their bones to make calcium, I would def increase natural sun light time as possible and dust their food with calcium regularly. Keep an eye on them, if they continue to go soft you will need a vet visit which will probably use liquid calcium.

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
Ok I will get the bulb tomorrow and give them more calcium for a few days and see if it improves. Thanks!!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
First things first - a UVB bulb is nothing more than a captive fallacy........The two hours a week in natural sunlight is more UVB output than any Bulb will produce in its lifespan.......

Part 2 - If your using clotrimazole to treat shell Fungus, you shouldn't have to treat for more than 24 hours in the absolute worst case scenario......Even in moderate cases, the Fungus is dead and wipes off within a few hours......If it doesn't, your not using the right active ingredient.........

Part 3 - You really have to define just what "soft" really means........Some hatchlings naturally go through that when they are putting on new growth.........Switch to Mazuri and see if the problem goes away........All My Redfoots are on a 100% Mazuri diet, and the results I get are far and away better than using anything else........

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
EricIvins said:
First things first - a UVB bulb is nothing more than a captive fallacy........The two hours a week in natural sunlight is more UVB output than any Bulb will produce in its lifespan.......

Part 2 - If your using clotrimazole to treat shell Fungus, you shouldn't have to treat for more than 24 hours in the absolute worst case scenario......Even in moderate cases, the Fungus is dead and wipes off within a few hours......If it doesn't, your not using the right active ingredient.........

Part 3 - You really have to define just what "soft" really means........Some hatchlings naturally go through that when they are putting on new growth.........Switch to Mazuri and see if the problem goes away........All My Redfoots are on a 100% Mazuri diet, and the results I get are far and away better than using anything else........

I would describe the soft as if I push down on the bottom of their shell I can feel it moving in and see it. I don't even have to push very hard at all.

I will try to find some Mazuri today at the petstore and hopefully get them some tonight.

The Lotrimin I've been using for the last couple of days seems to have cleared everything up so I will discontinue using it now.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The formula for strong bones is pretty simple.

1. UVB lighting, preferably natural sunlight. If they can get about an hour a week, spread over several sessions, of good light (strong enough to cause a tan, unfiltered through glass or plastic) that is enough. If they get this, no other special lighting is needed.

(IMPORTANT NOTE: Some caresheets suggest that very young tortoises, especially red-footeds, don't need UVB. There is no research I know of to support this claim.)

2. Calcium. Ideally offered through a good diet, it should be offered as a supplement if needed. The amount of calcium needed is outlined here-https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/nutrition/guidelines-and-dosages

3. Phosphorous. I know phosphorous gets a bad rap all the time- we keep talking about high-calcium diets and good Ca: P ratios, but bones NEED phosphorous to keep them from being brittle. Aim for an overall Ca: P of about 1.5:1 to 2:1. Unfortunately, a lot of lettuces, etc. are less than 1:1.

4. Iron, magnesium, etc. Usually available in a good diet, but a pinch of ground up multi-vitamin and mineral tablets once a week or so will help ensure that they get what they need.

5. Right cares. Well-hydrated, good temps, plenty of room to exercise, good sleep, etc.

Understand that these are all linked. Boosting the amount of calcium won't help if it is not getting enough UVB/D3.

If you would like to consider other dietary plans, there are a few and some links at the Tortoise Library, linked below.

Status
Not open for further replies.