I'm still crying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I’m a very bad tort mom and now that I have stopped crying and shaking I can tell my story.

At about 2 this afternoon, I picked up the new hatchling to get its wt and length. I had moved the digital scale over where its enclosure is, on the second tier of a three tier enclosure. When I went to place her on the scale my trigger finger snapped and away she went, she first dropped 23 inches and rolled like a pill on her side down the entire length of the enclosure which is about 43 inches. Then off the far side she dropped another 12 inches I assume to the 3 inch wide ledge, then dropped another 12 inches to the floor.

When I got to the side she landed on I was looking for her everywhere. I knew I had damaged or killed her. I had to watch where I stepped. I found her under my step stool 53 inches from where she fell off the side.

I picked her up, tears running down my face and cradled her in my hands. I felt so, so bad for her. I knew I must have done her grave damage. She peed but I couldn’t tell which were her drops or my tear drops on the floor. She moved and I carefully held her to my chest and spoke to her, through my tears telling her how sorry I was. I placed her in some warm water and soaked her for about 10 minutes. She pooped in the water.

(Ok, I guess I'm not done crying)
I have been watching her since this incident and I am so afraid for her. She was up and walking around her enclosure with her siblings but I am checking on her every few minutes. I am hoping that because she is such a young hatchling she is pliable enough that the falls only shook her up. I do not see any bruising but I will be
keeping a close eye on her.

I’m telling this because not only is there danger from things you can predict, cats, rats, birds, etc. But sometimes the danger can be you! :( I watch my hatchlings like a hawk and never thought something like this could ever happen. But when you least expert it **************

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Oh Robyn! I am so sorry! I really hope she will be ok! You poor thing! Don't feel too bad, you were only trying to do your best by her, accidents happen! Keep us updated. I wish I could hug you...that must be a horrible feeling! :(

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm sure she will be just fine Robyn. :) I've dropped 1 hatchling Libyan greek (2 days old) about 4 feet all together (hit a book first at about a foot, than 3 feet to the floor). The floor is a wood floor with no carpet. Like you I thought I'd done her great amounts of damage. When I picked her up I could see nothing wrong with her. I set her up in her enclosure and she walked a bit and ate the next day.
She's doing fine to this day :) so hatchlings are very bouncy :D

Danny

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Ohh Robyn
I am so sorry :( Do not say you are a bad tort mom because you are one of the greatest tort mom on this site! As Meg said, accidents happen. I am really sorry it happened to you and your little sweetheart. How is she doing this morning?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thank you all for your kind words. I must admit I was feeling very down last night and I think I also posted this so I didn't feel like such a heal. I was beating myself up pretty good.
I did take Maggies advice and spent most of the afternoon sitting on the couch just holding and talking to her.
I watched her off an on throughout the night. I'm not sure either of us got too much sleep because I kept touching her back leg to see if she was ok, and she kept hissing at me. I just finished watching her eat. She appears fine this morning. Boy what a scare. I will continue watching her for the next few weeks if not more, I'm sure. But so far so good. I've learned my lesson though, I will not set up her scale that way again and I am planning on calling my MD on Monday and setting an appointment to get this darn **** finger fixed.
Again thanks Meg, Danny and Isa for the comforting words.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Robyn,
I am sure she knows how lucky she is to have someone who takes care of her and who worries about her like you do. I am glad she is doing good and acting normal :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I think you should name this one Tigger. they bounce! ok, not funny.. but accidents happen. too all of us!
Its when you know they can happen and Do nothing to prevent it that you should beat yourself up or be beaten up! :)
What is with the finger?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh Robyn...that will be the day that you are a bad tort mom. You have to know that you are one of the best. I am sure she will be fine. I feel so bad for you....because of how you must feel. Hugs to you and your little guy.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks, Isa, Laura and Terry, for the kind words. She did fine today. Up and about with her siblings even had a soak on her own.

Laura, trigger finger is when the tendon sheath swells or get a nodul on it. They call it that because once bent it doesn’t want to straighten, but when the finger unlocks, it pops back suddenly like releasing a trigger on a gun. That's what happened. The finger just snapped when I went to set her on the scale. I have seen the MD and have had shots to help it but it had progressed to the point that to fix it will require surgery. I wasn't quite ready to get it done just yet. But after this happened I plan on talking to him this week.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Awwww Robyn, you had my mascara running now at work, goodness me! I can imagine how scary that must have been, but you are one of the FURTHEREST (I dnt know if thats a word,but it is now! haha) people away from being a bad tort mom! You give me the best advice and are always honest!!!! I am so very glad to hear you baby is doing well. Accidents happen, and you sure can't prevent the trigger finger thingy. We all know you didn't mean it :D HUGS xxx

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
So, will the name Tigger stick? I hope you both can recover from this. Accidents happen!

I dropped Trevor a few inches once and it felt like a few feet. He was perfectly fine.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kate Not sure if I will name her Trigger yet. But it is starting to grow on me. Glad Trevor was fine after his little fall.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Oh Ti double GG Eeeeer gets my vote.. BIG BIG POOH fan.. :)

I am very sorry, the accident happened but she sounds like the is great, and you are taking wonderful care of her. I think I would watch that sitting on couch talking to her you might start some thing there you may not wanna keep up.. lol. Then you could call her Tator for couch potatoe.. :) Just pray shes not a remote control hog.. lol

Dont beat yourself up so bad.. Your a great mom.. Just use your other hand to pick, move and hold her.. Until you can get that finger fixed

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Sorry to hear about this Robyn. But, accidents do happen and you are wonderful with your torts. Don't be so hard on yourself. ~HUG~

FunnyGirl

5 Year Member
I just about laughed my head off about the Tigger line! Only because I know that your baby will be fine. I vote for Tigger.
Is this one of the cute babies 1, 3, or 4?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
This is the first to hatch from this clutch #1. She is doing fine. She is active and eating fine. I have finally stopped waking during the night to check on her. Though it is a late night tonight as it is now 1 am. One last check and I'm off to bed 5 AM will be here all to fast.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
This is the first to hatch from this clutch #1. She is doing fine. She is active and eating fine. I have finally stopped waking during the night to check on her. Though it is a late night tonight as it is now 1 am. One last check and I'm off to bed 5 AM will be here all to fast.

Robyn,
I am glad your little one is doing fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.