Impacted Tortoise - liquid paraffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Gemzyfish said:
**Update**

Henry is having an operation today. Apparently over the weekend they have been attempting to administer the liquid paraffin by tube to the stomach but it keeps coming back up again so it is definitely blocked :-(

I'm so gutted for him!

Awww it's ok. He's gonna feel much better soon!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
:( sorry to be reading this. Fingers crossed that he will pull thru the surgery just find and be back to being a crapping machine in no time! :D

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
i just read all of this!! how terrible!! i hope ur lil guy gets better ASAP!!! keep us posted please!!!!!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I'm not a vet, but I do know Calcium is an important ion for muscle contractions. Perhaps they're providing Ca with the mineral oil to ensure proper muscle function for peristaltic contraction?

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I hope that your little tort does well. Please keep us updated. I feel bad for the little guy having to go thru all of this. And I know how worried you must be. Hang in there.

Sincerely, Claudia

Katherine

5 Year Member
Sounds like your shelled friend is in good care; just curious if any one has tried or suggested pumpkin? Canned pumpkin (not canned pumpkin pie filling, canned plain old pumpkin) can work as a natural bulk laxative and help pull through minor obstructions. Maybe something to ask your vet about; I have used it with great success the few times I have found an excrement challenged tort in the yards (in my case usually because they ate something they shouldn't have : ( ) goodluck regardless hope this ends well for you!

Totally missed the update about his surgery. Sorry for my inappropriate response; hope it is successful and that he recovers quickly!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Gemzyfish said:
**Update**

Henry is having an operation today. Apparently over the weekend they have been attempting to administer the liquid paraffin by tube to the stomach but it keeps coming back up again so it is definitely blocked :-(

I'm so gutted for him!
I so hope Henry is recovering well. Fingers crossed for both of you (((Hugs)))

Status
Not open for further replies.