impossible hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarichter

5 Year Member
Several years ago, I inherited an 8 yr old female Hermann's and a 7 yr old male pancake. They were life-long buddies, they are always within inches of each other, and it never occurred to me to separate them. The male is in constant mating mode, over the years they have produced many infertile eggs. I don't have the space or the heart to separate them, but last month she laid another clutch, and these actually look good so far. I would not in a million years expect them to reproduce, nor do I think they should. Does anybody think these eggs will make it? Too early to candle, but I have bred other species and these eggs look good to me. Any thoughts?

Christine Richter

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
yuppers ... they sure can! ...If the eggs look viable and she " took:"
Best of luck ....ineresting combo!
JD~:)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
hm that is a very odd combination!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! Even if they have been together this long with no visible signs of problems, I would make separate enclosures and have them both have vet check ups and fecal tests (I'd recommend the vet check up and fecal test regardless of what you said about them cohabitation). Just too many risks. If you don't have the "space or heart", then you might need to make some tough choices. Let us know if we can help in any way. There are some very cheap enclosure ideas to build from things you have around the house, or stuff like a bookcase you can find for free that someone wants to get rid of. If you think they would be lonely, then read up about how in the wild torts are solitary creatures, and the harm of housing species together which wouldn't live together in the wild. If you don't have the means to provide for tort babies, I would not incubate the eggs. I don't intend to be mean but I wanted to point a couple things out. Best wishes.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I don't know anything about either one of these species, so I won't comment on their care. I've kept different species that were CB, the same age and needed the same kind of environment, together with no problem, and know others who do also. Not saying it's the right thing to do though. If these eggs hatch, it would be very interesting to see what they look like.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They are so different, I can't imagine it happening...

I will say that I will have myself a pair of Pancakes, in about 6 more months...

Status
Not open for further replies.