In need of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizz

5 Year Member
Hi, everyone.
Well, just today, family members of mine dropped off a baby turtle they recently acquired at a reptile show into my hands. My family knows me as the "turtle girl", though I only own tortoises, so I guess they assumed the little guy would be safe in my hands. They had him for a couple days, noticed he wasn't eating, were concerned for his health but regretted getting him, so they gave him to me.

I was told that he is a box turtle, so that's why I am posting this here. I've been researching a lot on box turtles but noticed that most of the baby box turtles in the pictures I've seen have more of a brownish coloring to their shells. This little guy is about the size of a quarter and his shell is entirely green, his head is green with yellow streaks, and his plastron is yellow with various green circles.

Is he a box turtle or is he some other species?
I had never planned on getting any turtles, but considering he is so young and has been placed into my hands, I feel it's my duty to give him a good start and to be honest, am excited for the new experience. I am willing to do what he needs, so if he is a box turtle, could someone give me any quick tips on what to feed, amounts to feed, housing, etc?

I really appreciate all of your help, and would really like to give this little one the best possible start and life.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
sounds like you have a red eared slider..does he look anything like like this?..

can you post a pic too?

Attachments

• sliders.jpg
    sliders.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 25

Lizz

5 Year Member
jojodesca said:
sounds like you have a red eared slider..does he look anything like like this?..

can you post a pic too?

His markings aren't nearly that pronounced. But you're probably right, that would make a lot more sense. Don't know where they got box turtle from!
Thank you :)

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
if you can get a picture of the turtle uploaded that would be very helpful..however in the meantime if you can see the feet are webbed then it is an aquatic turtle and needs to be able to swim in a small bowl of water with access to get out when needed...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sounds like a cooter of some type to me. If it is a water turtle it needs water to eat, it can't eat out of water, but post a picture so we can ID it for sure.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
A picture of the plastron and carapace would be needed to id it though a facial picture will help.

Mky2k

5 Year Member
Central New Jersey
Really sounds like a water turtle to me. Read all of the advice above you and determine if it's a water turtle. If it is, put it in water, neither cool nor warm, and give it a rock to bask on. It should eventually feel comfortable enough to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.