In the Hide...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser-the-Redfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kurihama, Japan
Hey guys I know its a common question but... How long will my Redfoot hide?

He has been in there for a day and a half... Should I take him out to feed/soak? Or will that make the process go slower?

Thanks for your time...

moswen

5 Year Member
oh i don't know about babies (he's a baby right?) but since winter time i put an under tank heating pad under a ceramic tile, and put tula's hide ontop of that, spray it every day, and she only comes out every 3 days or so, chases me or my daughter down and gets carried back to her plate to be fed. sometimes my daughter even gets under there on days she doesn't come out and hand-feeds tula while she's still in her hide.

wintertime=cooler weather and pressure changes which trigger tortoises to slow down... i'm assuming bowser's good and healthy, hydrated, and parasite free?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If its a hatchling, if it didn't come out for the day to eat, I'd get it up and make sure its warm and healthy and place it in front of the food. For an older tort, I'd more so leave it alone but monitor for signs of illness. Check the temp of the hide...sometimes torts for whatever reason will pick the coolest part of the enclosure and bunker down and not want to come out. My two year old tort for the first two winter we had him wasn't much less active than the rest of the year, but this year he really seems to have slowed down unless its a weekend where we're home and will get him up and out of his burrow. For a tort that is staying in the hide/burrow for long lengths of time, waking it up with a long warm soak (even putting a heat emitter over the water) and then trying to get it to eat might be helpful. If you haven't had this tort long (weeks or months), it may still be getting settled in, but nonetheless, for a hatchling, I'd want to get it up every day but otherwise not handle too much.

Bowser-the-Redfoot

5 Year Member
Kurihama, Japan
Yeah its like 3 1/4 inches, So I'm guessing around 6-9 months? The temp feels like 5 degrees colder so I'm not too worried about that... But it won't come outside to get some of the uvb rays, and its not basking..

I've only had Koopa for 3 days, so yeah I know its because of it getting used to its new enclosure, but I'm just worried pa lol

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
My little Cherry head is also 3/14 in. and just about 6 months old too. She comes out in the morning to eat, and goes on top of her hide and sits there until about 3 o'clock, then comes down and finishes her food and then goes into her hide at about 4 for the rest of the night. She is very consistent with her routine now. My older one, Pio, is 3 years and will eat every other day now that he's in for the Winter. Neither one of mine bask.....but Pio does sit under the heat emitter, so maybe that's basking.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Little ones hide a lot. The questions would be- is it eating AT ALL, and is it otherwise healthy? If it is- leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.