Time in hide

Bwatts86

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hey, first time Sulcata owner here and just looking for advice.

I have a Sulcata around 6 months old, since I introduced its new hide a few weeks ago it spends 99% of its time inside there. Prior to getting this hide it was very active, walking around and exploring, picking at food all day whereas now I take it out to soak in the morning, it’ll have some food then head straight back to its hide for hours on end.

My temp inside the hide is 81f, directly below the basking bulb is 96-99 and the cool end is 80. Night time temp is controlled with a CHE and the temp in the hide is around 82. I monitor my temps with digital thermometers and also confirmed with a temperature laser. Misting 2-3 times a day with warm water gives me readings of 80%+ on the humidity.

Ultimately, I’m just wondering if this is normal behaviour ?? Is it ok for the little one to spend that much time hidden away in its hide?
Like I say I’m new to sulcatas and trying to do the best I can for it, I’m following Toms guide on raising sulcatas on here to the best I can.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hey, first time Sulcata owner here and just looking for advice.

I have a Sulcata around 6 months old, since I introduced its new hide a few weeks ago it spends 99% of its time inside there. Prior to getting this hide it was very active, walking around and exploring, picking at food all day whereas now I take it out to soak in the morning, it’ll have some food then head straight back to its hide for hours on end.

My temp inside the hide is 81f, directly below the basking bulb is 96-99 and the cool end is 80. Night time temp is controlled with a CHE and the temp in the hide is around 82. I monitor my temps with digital thermometers and also confirmed with a temperature laser. Misting 2-3 times a day with warm water gives me readings of 80%+ on the humidity.

Ultimately, I’m just wondering if this is normal behaviour ?? Is it ok for the little one to spend that much time hidden away in its hide?
Like I say I’m new to sulcatas and trying to do the best I can for it, I’m following Toms guide on raising sulcatas on here to the best I can.

Thanks in advance
In the wild, babies that expose themselves get eaten. It pats to stay hidden. So if the tortoise is full of food, warm enough, hydrated, and generally feeling content there is no reason to be out and exposed.

I don't see any of the usual potential problems that can cause them to hide, so that is good. I also don't see enough cover and hiding areas, so that could be improved. As he gets older and bolder, you can have a more spartan functional indoor enclosure, but for babies it is better to offer more cover, hiding areas and "furniture" around the enclosure. One easy way to do this is to clip branches from outside and lay them about the enclosure. I use mulberry, grape, hibiscus, and lavaters branches for this purpose. I also cut whole mallow bushes and throw in there, or other seasonally available safe plants. These usually last two or three days and then I chuck and replace them. I also use potted plants like pothos and spider plants, but I've had mixed results with those. I wouldn't say I have the typical "black thumb" where all plants in my vicinity die, but I've had too much mixed results to claim a "green thumb" either. Some people seem to have a real knack for working with potted plants in enclosures, and that is a good way to go too.