Inactive Russian tort?

John Franzwa

My Russian tort is being really inactive lately for example she never leaves her hide! I put food in there and put her next to it and she eats it then walks over by her light for like a couple minutes then goes back to her hide! She did go outside yesterday though bad built a hole! Then laid down! Thanks for the help!

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
How long has this been going on ?
My russian was inactive (sleeping and basking only) for about 2 weeks for some unknown reason. I was worried of course be after the 2 weeks, she went back to her normal self .

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
temperatures are often the culprit. Could be too hot or too cold what are your temperatures?

John Franzwa

temperatures are often the culprit. Could be too hot or too cold what are your temperatures?

88 on cool side and the therm on the warm side broke 3 days ago and I haven't got around to getting a new one, I'd guess somewhere around 95 ish on the warm, I have 2 fans currently going to fight the heat.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
88 on cool side and the therm on the warm side broke 3 days ago and I haven't got around to getting a new one, I'd guess somewhere around 95 ish on the warm, I have 2 fans currently going to fight the heat.
I'd say, it's too warm. I keep 80-81 on darker side and 85-86 on brighter. When they are hot they can very quickly get dehydrated. Are you soaking her daily? Does she have free access to water dish where she can walk in and sit if she wants? My babies used to do this all the time and I wasn't keeping their tank as warm as yours

John Franzwa

I'd say, it's too warm. I keep 80-81 on darker side and 85-86 on brighter. When they are hot they can very quickly get dehydrated. Are you soaking her daily? Does she have free access to water dish where she can walk in and sit if she wants? My babies used to do this all the time and I wasn't keeping their tank as warm as yours

Not daily soaks more like once a week sometimes twice a week, she has access to water but I've never seen her drink before.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Not daily soaks more like once a week sometimes twice a week, she has access to water but I've never seen her drink before.
She maybe too warm and getting too dry. I'd definitely up the soaking to daily x 20-30 min each, and change one of your bulbs to little lower wattage and see what happens, again, try to shoot for 80- cool, to 85-86 in warmer area

John Franzwa

She maybe too warm and getting too dry. I'd definitely up the soaking to daily x 20-30 min each, and change one of your bulbs to little lower wattage and see what happens, again, try to shoot for 80- cool, to 85-86 in warmer area

Ok I may just turn the bulb off. Then and I will defiantly do the soaking

Pearly

5 Year Member
Have you studied your species care sheets? I can really only speak for the RF and only "parrot" what I've read here about other species

Pearly

5 Year Member
Crap! I need to learn people's user names to be able to send out alerts when someone needs help and I am clueless about their species. Anyway, John, focus your efforts on making sure your tort's living conditions are up to snuff, temps are HUGE in reptiles. Then SOAKING. While at it examine your tort's body inch by inch under good light for any unusual signs (injury or disease). Keep a growth chart to ascertain her growth and weight gain. Once your enclosure temp is at the ideal level and soaked, give her her favorite yummy food and I bet she won't be able to resist

John Franzwa

Crap! I need to learn people's user names to be able to send out alerts when someone needs help and I am clueless about their species. Anyway, John, focus your efforts on making sure your tort's living conditions are up to snuff, temps are HUGE in reptiles. Then SOAKING. While at it examine your tort's body inch by inch under good light for any unusual signs (injury or disease). Keep a growth chart to ascertain her growth and weight gain. Once your enclosure temp is at the ideal level and soaked, give her her favorite yummy food and I bet she won't be able to resist

After her bathe she seems better she's walking around and picking out the flowers from her collard greens I've got the temps down!