Inactive Tortoise

ShellingtonTheFirst

Location (City and/or State)
London
Shelly recently has become so inactive that it’s really starting to worry me. He’s a 4 year old Greek and I’ve had him for about 6/7 months. Usually he’s super active, awake with his lights at 5am, eats like a pig, bulldozes around his enclosure but for the past week all he’s been doing is sleeping in one of his hides. He hasn’t been eating much and even when I hand feed him to make sure he’s eating SOMETHING he’ll only eat a little bit then stomp right back to bed.

He’s in a 6x4ft viv, basking temp is 37c, cool side is 26.6c, with shaded areas and his warm/ambient anywhere from 27-33ish depending on where I shoot in his enclosure. night time temp is 18.5c. He’s kept on orchid bark. I supplement his food with a sprinkle of calcium once a week and he’s fed dandelions, radicchio, lambs lettuce, friseé, courgette, cucumber, kale, spring greens, pak choy and Romaine lettuce all in rotation and all his food gets mixed with Arcadia’s Optimised52. I bathe him twice a week for about half an hour a time. He’s peeing and pooping as normal. His urates are quite runny. Aside from the worrying change in activity levels, he looks fine.

His UV runs for 4 hours a day, his lights for around 15 hours a day. Everything is set to timers and thermostats.

Please help!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Happy birthday. I really have no clue, but have you studied the care sheet here for temperate species to make sure all his conditions are correct? And maybe he could do with a larger enclosure.

ShellingtonTheFirst

London
Happy birthday. I really have no clue, but have you studied the care sheet here for temperate species to make sure all his conditions are correct? And maybe he could do with a larger enclosure.
Studied them ten times over. He probably could do with a larger enclosure but I doubt he’d go from happy, active and exploring one day to totally dormant the next due to that. I’m really stuck on what’s wrong with him. Again today he’s awake but just sitting under his hide. :(

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
I'm just going to throw some questions out there in an attempt to help you troubleshoot.
- Is he basking at all to bring his core temperature up? He's unlikely to have an appetite if not.
- During the daylight hours when the UVB is off, is the enclosure well lit?
- If he's been outside, might he have eaten anything he shouldn't have?

ShellingtonTheFirst

London
I'm just going to throw some questions out there in an attempt to help you troubleshoot.
- Is he basking at all to bring his core temperature up? He's unlikely to have an appetite if not.
- During the daylight hours when the UVB is off, is the enclosure well lit?
- If he's been outside, might he have eaten anything he shouldn't have?
He’s not basking at all, but he will eat a couple of bites if I offer him food by hand. In fact I just took him out of the bath and he sniffed around his food bowl for the first time in weeks, but then turned right back around and stomped back off to bed.
Yes. He has a ‘jungle dawn LED’ light that lights up his viv well, as well as his basking light of course.
He’s only been outside once, and the time he was out there (only about 20 mins) he was just stressed due to the experience I guess, just trying to hide under bushes etc. I had my eye on him the whole time and he didn’t eat anything.

I’m absolutely stumped.