Inbreeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
futureleopardtortoise said:
I actually didn't buy him, or want him for that matter :) I found him in an abandoned pet shop 4 months after all the animals were supposed to be gone. He had somehow managed to take care of himself in a cold, dark, empty building for that long... when I found him I was told that based on his size, he was around a month old, but he had to be at least 4... I guess he deserves to be a little "off" right? :p I was going to sell him once he got well to someone that would actually want him, but I'd feel bad giving someone an animal that I know isn't of perfect health, and I'll admit it... the little sucker has grown on me just a little bit ;)

Wow, what a survivor! Good for him ... and good for you! :)

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
GeoTerraTestudo said:
futureleopardtortoise said:
What bugs me about the quote at the beginning of this thread is that people seem to be promoting morph-breeding in geckos, calling non-morphs "mutts." There are a lot of problems with that notion. For one thing, these are morphs, not breeds. For another, non-morph geckos are wildtype, not "mutts." I can understand extolling the virtues of some color morph (although I don't agree with it). But to tell people not to breed wildtype geckos? That's just a recipe for disaster. Sooner or later, morphs are going to have to breed with wildtype geckos in order to avoid inbreeding depression. Discouraging wildtype breeding is like cutting the branch you're sitting on.

That is my problem with this. They are line breeding purely for color. Breeding sibling carrot tails together to get carrot tails that are even brighter orange, or sibling tangerines together to get hypo tangerines. From everything I have been able to read on this it is all for colors and creating a "pure" morph! Even when a morph has known neurological issues they keep breeding them, as long as they are not showing the signs. I know there are a few others out there like me that prefer the wildtypes. Don't get me wrong some of the morphs are pretty cool looking but if I have to inbreed to get them, I don't want them.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
CJSTorts said:
I know there are a few others out there like me that prefer the wildtypes. Don't get me wrong some of the morphs are pretty cool looking but if I have to inbreed to get them, I don't want them.

Well said. Viva la wildtype! :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.