Incandescent for heat -- recommended wattage?

FujiBaird

So my little juvenile Hermann's named Roma is settling in to her new home. Unfortunately, we've had a run of bad weather. Because of that, her outdoor enclosure is not done yet, and she's been spending more time in a bin indoors than I'd like. :( She's been eating like a champ on the days we've been able to let her outside, but her appetite is very poor/non-existent on the days she's been inside. The outdoor enclosure should be done by the end of the week, but in the meantime I'd like to give her a incandescent light for basking/heat.

Can you suggest a bulb wattage to start out with? I have a dome fixture that will be placed on top of a cookie cooling rack approximately 7-8" above the substrate. 60W? 40W since it's so close? I have a temperature gun on order but it won't be arriving until the weekend... right when I (hopefully) won't be needing this particular setup anymore!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A 40w wouldn't give off much heat. A 60 or a 75 would be your best bet. Make sure that the lighting fixture is designed to hold at least the wattage of the bulb that you choose. What type of turtle /tortoise is this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use 100 watt incandescent bulbs for day time indoors. But it really depends upon the size of your enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would suggest a 65 watt flood bulb, but you will need to check the temperature under your bulb in your enclosure and make adjustments in either there bulb/fixture height or the wattage, as needed.

FujiBaird

Thank you all! While I thought the fixture was rated higher, it's only rated for 60W. Thankfully I happened to have a 60W bulb lying around so I'll try that for today until I can get a better bulb & fixture (or even better, the outdoor enclosure!). Tom/Yvonne, it's a juvenile Hermann's, and the temporary bin is about 18" by 30". :)

FujiBaird

This was about 20 minutes after I put in the bulb... I'll take this as a sign of approval from Roma. :D

It's not terribly hot under the bulb -- I'm guessing high 80s -- but the fixture is fairly hot.

Attachments

• 20150106_084003.jpg
    20150106_084003.jpg
    1,003.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20150106_085313.jpg
    20150106_085313.jpg
    773.1 KB · Views: 20