Rusky

Location (City and/or State)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
So I came back from NYC last night to find Rusky's heat lamp dead. He had not eaten and had buried himself deep underground. It was a special reptile Exo Terra one, and now I realize that I only need a regular incandescent flood. This is the second time my heat lamp has gone in two months. What wattage of lamp should I get if I want my basking area around 95 degrees, mounted around 10-12 inches away in an open enclosure (no top)?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
If you are going to use a dimmable bulb or a che you can use a lamp dimmer to reduce the used wattage, take a100 or larger watt bulb and turn it down to the desired temperature without having to raise or lower it. I got my lamp dimmers at Lowes but other stores carry them. they cost around $ 10. Reducing the wattage of a light bulb also extends the life of that bulb.

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
If you are going to use a dimmable bulb or a che you can use a lamp dimmer to reduce the used wattage, take a100 or larger watt bulb and turn it down to the desired temperature without having to raise or lower it. I got my lamp dimmers at Lowes but other stores carry them. they cost around $ 10. Reducing the wattage of a light bulb also extends the life of that bulb.
Thanks for the idea. I don't use CHE's, but are they dimmable?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
One thing I forgot, make sure you check the wattage rating on the dimmer. the ones I use are rated good up to 300 watts, some are rated for fewer watts.