New bulb

Kaylin99

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi,

looking to decrease wattage of my heat bulb as I think it’s too high at 100w.

it’s almost impossible to find incandescent flood bulbs in the uk. Would the below be okay to use:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

it’s almost impossible to find incandescent flood bulbs in the uk. Would the below be okay to use:

That one looks like it might work. Put a thermometer under it to get the height and temperature set correctly.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi,

Be careful with that bulb. That is a spot bulb and focuses too much of the energy in a tight area beneath. If you can find a bulb that is labeled "BR" or "R" or even and old style "A" bulb, the will work much better.

We have the same issue here in California with the ban on incandescent. It is only legal to sell "specialty bulbs" that are incandescent. SO you can find the Red heat lamps for chicken brooders, that do not work for tortoises. You also can find the reptile bulbs. They are all way overprices, taking advantage of their market protection. Most are spot bulbs and not suitable. But you can find the old "A" style reptile basking bulbs and legally buy those. Most sellers seem to know this and they are about 3x the price they used to be. I would assume you will find the same thing in the UK

Kaylin99

London
Thanks @Tom and @Markw84

a lot of the bulbs marketed as reptile bulbs from uk retailers are either halogen or coil or mercury or spot bulbs that have a lifespan of a month tops.

googling the a type bulb 60 w showed this:

Would that work? Or get hot?

alternatively if you could share a link that I would be able to access here like amazon I’d be so grateful or if someone in the uk could share their heat set up.

also I was thinking about how to increase ambient temps in his enclosure for winter as he’s spending a lot of time under his lamp which isn’t doing his shell a lot of good (esp with the high wattage). Should I just add a che in the middle of the enclosure? If so what temp should I set it to in order to keep the temperature gradient in his enclosure.

pic of set up:

3BD68C30-85A0-454A-8540-149E13042522.jpeg