Incubators????

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I was wondering if any of you have the Pro MR-148 digital incubator? What do you think of it? How do you like it as opposed to the cheap Hova bator and is it worth the price?

Also, when you guys incubate in the hova bator, does anyone place their containers/tubs on top of each other to get more in there?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I looked into the Pro MR-148, but I could not find any information on the temperature flucations. For example, if you set to 91 degrees, how many degrees does it fluctuate from the set point. The Hova bator has a 25 watt element, so it does fluctuate greatly with room temperature. I place my Hova Bator in my basement where the temperatures do not fluctuate, therefore the Hova Bator does not fluctuate.

I would buy the MR-148 (a drink cooler/heater for trucks etc.) if I thought it could hold a +-1 degree temp as the room changed temps. My guess is that it does not.

I do not stack inside the Hova Bator as that too will create differances in temps from high to low. If you don't care about exact temperatures and monitor the top shelf temps, I'm sure stacking is fine.

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...-incubators/-/lllreptile-pro-mr148-incubator/

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Hovabators to me are a pain to manipulate the lid, etc. - plus how many degrees does the 'natural' nest-site vary anyway?

40 bucks or so will get you this @ Tractor Supply -

ALITTLEGIANT.jpg

You obviously don't need an egg-turner.. and place your incubators where they have to "work" to stay UP to temps.. and that will control any temp variations!

That was easy...

NERD

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
TortieLuver said:
I was wondering if any of you have the Pro MR-148 digital incubator? What do you think of it? How do you like it as opposed to the cheap Hova bator and is it worth the price?

Also, when you guys incubate in the hova bator, does anyone place their containers/tubs on top of each other to get more in there?

I've had the Pro MR - 148 for about 3 months now. I've never owned any other type of incubator before so I can't compare it to anything, but I really like it other than it's size. I have 3 thermometers inside of it, the eggs on the bottom maintain their temperatures to a small fraction of a degree. The ones closer to the top fluctuate slightly more, never more than a whole degree though. The temperature display on the front of the machine varies 3 degrees before it kicks on, but I don't trust what it says.

I had a hard time finding containers to put the eggs in that would fit inside the small space. I came across some great containers from wal mart that stack well and I'm able to fit 12 in the incubator, each one can hold 4 leopard tortoise eggs.

It's small and not too noisy when it kicks on, so you can fit it in your closet or wherever. For what I need, it is worth the money and I'm actually considering purchasing another one. I have two egg laying females, one of them has filled the incubator in the last three months so I'm in trouble once the other starts laying.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Mr-148 is garbage in my opinion. It would be good for hot or cold beverages, that's about it. I have one I will sell if anyone does like them. I wasted my money.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Az tortoise compound said:
Mr-148 is garbage in my opinion. It would be good for hot or cold beverages, that's about it. I have one I will sell if anyone does like them. I wasted my money.

Care to explain a little more? I really don't know much about incubators, if there's a better option what makes that better than the Mr - 148?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY

I have always been suspicious of the mr-148, it is after all a food/drink cooler/heater for vehicles, that's why there are 2 power sources. It is interesting to find back to back opposing review. I would buy one to experiment with if they were more reasonably priced.

Terry does make a good point about the little giant, I do have one of these and it is nicer than the Hova Bator. Mine has a 40 watt element as opposed to the Hova Bators 25w. It seems easier to set/maintain than the Hova Bator, and in my area, they are easier to find without paying shipping.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Neal Butler said:

Care to explain a little more? I really don't know much about incubators, if there's a better option what makes that better than the Mr - 148?

The MR-148 does not work for us because I find a 3-4* variance in the temp it keeps. The difference between 86-89 is male or female the difference between 89-92* is death. For our needs, it is not accurate enough. Now if the potential sex is unimportant to a person it can work.
It is really a traveling beverage cooler sold by reptile retailers as an incubator. Hova bator is $40.00 or so and keeps a more consistent temp. My little fridge was 179.00 plus shipping. Lol @ me!
We have since switched to a very nice cabinet incubator that suits our needs.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
In my unit there is about a 3 degree variance between the eggs on the top and the eggs on the bottom but, the temperatures remain constant within a fraction of a degree. The temperature display on the front varies 2 - 3 degrees so I don't use that to guage anything, but the thermometers inside I check all throughout the day. Someone looking to incubate for all one sex might not benefit from it, but IMO it's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.