Indian Roofed Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoshi

10 Year Member!
Wasn't sure where to post this - so plugged it in here as they fall under Asia (but aren't torts)

--

So I have a young pair. During the day they are in an outside pen which is part water part dry area (sand side, soil side, and plain) - at night they are in an indoor tank.

The Female is always in the water during the day. I have never seen her move to the dry area of the pen. The male is always in the dry area of the pen, he may go to the water side once a day, if that.

They are placed in a box under direct sunlight for an hour or so everyday. The box has a small area covered in shade. The female is always in the shade - the Male spreads himself out and seems to enjoy sunning.

Any idea why such a contrast in behavior? Is this normal?

All they eat is turtle food which is dropped in water. Is there anything I can keep on the dry side that they will eat?

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
Hi Hoshi,

Are you in U.S.? It is not common to see this kind of turtle in U.S. and they are so pretty and shy I think

by the way, what kind of Roof turtle are you talking about, as I know there are three different species.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Indian roofed turtles have fixed tongues, so I doubt you'll have any success feeding them on land (of course, this varies). The contrast in behavior is normal. The female may be trying to lay eggs, and if there isn't a suitable nesting site she will just lay them in the water. If you can give her a damp sandy area to lay them that would be great. I'm not an expert, just giving my humble advice.

hoshi

10 Year Member!
But they are kids. She is barely 3-4 inchs, how could she be laying eggs?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Whoops, read your question wrong (keeps happening for some reason lol). No, there is nothing wrong with the contrast in behavior, assuming that their habitat is spacious and that the habitat is properly setup. You should monitor them more closely, to see if anything else if happening. But other than that, as long as their feeding well, not showing any signs of illnesses, and are alert, then you should be fine.

hoshi

10 Year Member!
Yes they are very alert and surprisingly intelligent.

I am thinking of constructing an indoor tank for them. If you see the pic, the tank will be right next to my desk (the plank on which the phones are) and will run 5 ft in length. The water area will be on the far end and the dry on the near end right next to me.

My concern is - I spend 8-9 hours in office and the UVB for the tank will literally be right by my shoulder where the phone is. How big of a health concern is this?

They are currently in this outdoor pen. My 2nd option is to extend this pen and make it 10x2 all glass with 5x2 dry and 5x2 wet areas. But it's open air and so I'm contemplating it due to the dust levels outside and the heavy monsoon in India (both of which they would have been exposed to in the wild).

Thoughts people?

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 120
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    99 KB · Views: 122

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
hoshi said:
Yes they are very alert and surprisingly intelligent.

I am thinking of constructing an indoor tank for them. If you see the pic, the tank will be right next to my desk (the plank on which the phones are) and will run 5 ft in length. The water area will be on the far end and the dry on the near end right next to me.

My concern is - I spend 8-9 hours in office and the UVB for the tank will literally be right by my shoulder where the phone is. How big of a health concern is this?

They are currently in this outdoor pen. My 2nd option is to extend this pen and make it 10x2 all glass with 5x2 dry and 5x2 wet areas. But it's open air and so I'm contemplating it due to the dust levels outside and the heavy monsoon in India (both of which they would have been exposed to in the wild).

Thoughts people?

Those reptile lights are known to cause skin cancer in humans.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm always for having turtles and tortoises live outside if at all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.