indian star tortoise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Define "normal".

If you raise 100 Indian stars in the same ideal enclosure and eating the same food, I would estimate that 10-20% of them will have some pyramiding. It will be mild if the conditions are correct, but it will still happen.

There are things we can do to lessen the effects, but I have not found a way to totally eliminate it in every individual.

Reactions: Nik

Nik

what are those white spot is that any kind of problem they r in very small amount
in 1st two pics u can see

Nik

yep i m going too use poting soil
n i jus keep them in that tub while feeding time only other wise they love ton rome in my room
n they have their selected places where they like to rest

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yep i m going too use poting soil
n i jus keep them in that tub while feeding time only other wise they love ton rome in my room
n they have their selected places where they like to rest

1. Potting soil is not a good substrate to use. It usually has additives that are toxic or dangerous to tortoises.

2. I would stop feeding them on that substrate in the tub ASAP. The reason that substrate is not good is because its an impaction risk. Feeding them on it increases the risk of impaction.

3. Tortoises should not be loose on the floor in your room. That is a very dangerous practice and it usually leads to death, injury, or impaction

I think these might help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

I typed this up for leopards and sulcatas, but I house stars identically:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Nik

one of my tortoise has not yet pooped he only urinates
is there any problem

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
one of my tortoise has not yet pooped he only urinates
is there any problem

There could be. How long have you ben feeding them on that substrate? How long have they been running loose in your room? Impaction is a possibility in your circumstance.

Are you soaking them daily? This will often help them pass any blockages. Soak them in a tall sided, opaque tub with warm water. For the one that is not pooping, I've leave him in the soak for an hour a day or more. Keep the water warm throughout the long soak.

Nik

ok he is feeding well n i soke him every day that time he drinks a lot water too

Nik

he drinks onnly ones
bt the other poops every moring wen he wakes up

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nik, and welcome to the forum!

The reason Tom mentioned the small gravel substrate is because if any of the small pieces of gravel stick to the wet food and the tortoise accidentally eats it, the gravel build up in the digestive tract or in the stomach and blocks the passage of the food, causing an impaction. The tortoise can die from this. And the fact that's he's not pooping might be a bit worrisome.