Indian Star?

TortoiseFan89

Hi all! I'm new to the forums. Been doing some tortoise research. I'm leaning toward Indian Star. I'm curious for opinions on if it would be a good fit for someone residing in the north east USA? I would keep him-her indoors all year. Any and all input is greatly appreciated!!

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There's actually quite a few keepers of stars out in that area. From what I know they keep them mainly indoors. Except for summers.

pete55

Here in the UK we keep ours indoors except during the warmer summer weather. Then they have an indoor pen in the greenhouse with basking area and access to an outdoor run. Each night they're brought inside. Overall we have found them easier to manage in vivariums which allow for better control of warm ambient temperatures and humidity. Now we've ironed out their environment requirements we've found them much easier to manage and even more rewarding. Some are shy but we also have individuals that are very bold. I cannot comment on Northern Indian Stars as I have no experience with this race but would imagine their requirements are similar.

There's lots of information on this forum and my first recommendation is to source one direct from a breeder. Welcome to the forum and best of luck.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
There are many who keep them indoors year round and have a lot of success. Personally, I think they do "better" when outdoors. AZ is the perfect area for stars in my opinion.

If this is your first tortoise, I would recommend a Russian Tortoise or something slightly more hardy than stars. Not that stars are particularly difficult to keep, but you would have to make a lot more effort to make sure environmental conditions are ideal than you would for a tortoise such as a Russian.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to have a fully furnished totally suitable indoor habitat for cold days and nights, and also a large well designed safe outdoor enclosure for fair weather.

Any animal can be kept anywhere in the world with enough time effort and money. Due to their smaller size, a star won't be too difficult to house where you are.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with what Neal has said. If this is to be your first tortoise, you'd be better off experimenting with a Russian. And it IS an experiment. It takes a lot of tweaking to get the tortoise set up correctly, sometimes a full year's worth of finagling. Russian tortoises, being the hardy little creatures they are, can live through your learning process quite well. They are very forgiving of poor care.