Indian star

Status
Not open for further replies.

tickle

5 Year Member
He does look bloated maybe he is inpacted with carrot chunks u should feed them shredded if u feed him that at all.he also should be biggero now mine has shown grown and weight vane in 1 month and I tphink they are the same age.I also wouldn't handle him much at all keep stress down to a minamum.I'm am new at this also so don't take my advice as law.but we did get are stars from the same place and they were both born in August mine is twice that size..what were u feeding him?I cantell u that those whole carrots were a no no.I have heard a improper diet with star hatchlings is a death sentence.also did you get you're ambient heat up to the high 90's.this will help him digest.also pedialite if warmed up will be definatly benificial.if he starts eating I would feed him only grass and weeds with the zilla vitamin spray.gl. I am pulling for u.I went to the full extremes for my star hatchling cause I new of the dangers with hatchlings not making it and I'm glad I did.what substrate do u use.mine had a bad reaction to Timothy hay.I. o my guy really loves optuna and will eat it if he is full so that is good to try to get him to eat also its full of liguid and vitamins.also zuccini is a favorite u can try a little of tha. t to try to get him to eat make sure u get the vitamin spray.

I really think he might be impacted.get the orchard hay out mine didn't like that at all.

I went Back and looked at the picks of him when he first arrived u were feeding d him proper foods but on top of that wood chip substrate Wichita makes me think he might have swallowed some and is impact Ted.that would tear him apart from the inside.they pieceos were small a d he has no hands to remove the food from his mouth if he picked some up with his food.I'm am just trying everything to help u out

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I don't have a lot of experience with gut impaction in tortoises, but from what I have read and heard, it seems like yours is showing signs of that. I would keep up with baby food soaks, and just regular water soaks throughout the day. The California Turtle and Tortoise Club suggests mineral or vegetable oil fed through a syringe may help pass the blockage, but I would speak with someone who has done that first before trying it.

tickle

5 Year Member
Neal said:
I don't have a lot of experience with gut impaction in tortoises, but from what I have read and heard, it seems like yours is showing signs of that. I would keep up with baby food soaks, and just regular water soaks throughout the day. The California Turtle and Tortoise Club suggests mineral or vegetable oil fed through a syringe may help pass the blockage, but I would speak with someone who has done that first before trying it.

+1 Neal look back to page 3 when his star arrived and c what he is feeding him on that is why I came to this conclusian

bogart20

5 Year Member
I fed him those carrots like 2 months ago as a treat. I do disk him daily, sometes twice a day.
I'm gettin bsby good and pedialyte and gonna make a warm water pedialyte baby food soak.
Or a super soak! Lmao

bogart20

5 Year Member
He's not really moving, he's just sittin with his head up and his eyes closed

Well he's blinking now but still just sitting lol

And I just noticed as well and looking at him now.
His jaw looks paler

tickle

5 Year Member
u are doing the best you can for him now so just keep the stress low heat high 90's hunidity 40% and time.praying never hurts.i have a feeling he will pull threw the pedialite will help also.do you have youre temp high.also keep in high 80's at night till feeling beter.eye drop will help also.

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
"his head up and his eyes closed"

I saw this before!
Yeah, and you can see he tried to push sth out off his body!

This is very normal for Baby tortoise beucase a lot of breeders do no treat new hatchlings right! The first two months are the most critical for Baby Star tortoises.

So Sad to see that!

tickle

5 Year Member
Time for blame game is over lets tidemarks.babies of all sorts get sick it is a fact of life.I have been around for a long time and see this happen from all breeders stock.he was very haethy when he got him I followed his thread.I have one from same breeder and batch and mine is thriving"knock on wood"no need to tempt fate.I Havel wanted a star for over 15 years and thesexare the reasons why I didn't get one till I was ready.I have seen hatchlings from the most reputable breaders come healthy as an ox and with one cold night or ate wrong thing bad substrate or whatever get sick and die in record time.Indi.a and shri lanka are very hot climates sometimes above 110 f.they don't go below 90 much at all even at night.shipping also really bugs stars more then most torts.I find unless its mid summer or you live in 4 seasons of a hot climate a tortoise table with awise open top is no good for star hatchlings there are two many cold spots and drafty.hatchling stars don't bask much at all so it is important u heat his hide to themid 90's cause if its cold they do not digest properly causing impaction and gut rot.always have 2 hides one unheated so he can go there if to hot in the other.humidity is also a huge factor I found if it goes over 50 and under 40 he is really uncomfortable.stars are the hardest of all to raise from hatchling they need lots of vitamins and only proper foods.also substrate is very important for humidity and impaction if swallowed.my star Bates when I cover the ground with Timothy hay.I find a mix of sand and soil hold humidity best and it can pack down for sturdy walking.I. hope bogarts star pulls threw I really do.one more.
peoblem is handling I no they are cute but to bring them out of the tank at room

temp Wichita is way colder then the tank is no good W temp Wichita is way colder then the tank is a no
no.I pump my heat up to 95 in ky house b4 I take my star out to soak so its warm all round.

I have hard time editing on this tablet. Did u get the pedialite?.i also was told many times that hatchling stars woul rather sleep then eat so i woke mine up in the beggining at a certain time and fed him now he is up and waiting for food everyday what a pig.I will do my best to help Bogart out I really hope I c him pull threw.how is he today.did u pump the heat up and heat his favorite hide.the heat for digestion is very important also how you soak him is two they can get cold really fast if half his body is in warm water and the other half in cold are will do it make sure you dry imedietly they area they come from is rarely cold especially when the hatchling hatch..were do u live and how is the climate.I just want to helpnout as much as I can.

bogart20

5 Year Member
I think he's dead😭
Today really sucks.......

I think he's dead 😭
Today really sucks.....

I'm pretty sure hes dead.... 😭
Today really sucks u guys....

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Bogart,
I am so sorry for your loss and just before Christmas.
Many years ago I had 2 super nice leopard tortoises die in a freak accident and I still feel sad about it so I know how you feel. Tortoises are so innocent and dependent more than most animals so it really tugs at the heart. I was already feeling a little down today and now this news puts a tear in my eyes. But life is so good too, lets choose to celebrate life and the moment of life that God has given.
For your information and for all of us too you should bring your loss star to a reptile vet for a autopsy to determine if there was a hidden disease or genetic flaw. I am getting some Sri Lankan Star hatchlings soon so I would be very interested to know too.
Cheer up and God bless Merry Christmas! :D

bogart20

5 Year Member
Sorry for duch sad new so near Christmas. I hope u all have a merry christmas. Should I freeze it till I take it in or what???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, when you are going to take an animal in for a necropsy, you wrap it in moist paper towells, place it in a plastic bag and set it in the refrigerator. Freezing is harmful to the necropsy.

tickle

5 Year Member
If you want to spend allot of money on finding out what killed him do that.I would make a nice little grave and not prolong it.can I help u find another tort I posted in the other post that I would donate cash to help you get another we did that on another site for flowerhorns and got the guy who got ripped of a nice Mp for cheap.I no there are some members here who breed torts that might be willing to donate a tort we pay for shipping if you were to get a new one would it have to be a star.I hope you have a merrrychristmass and I am here to help no one should lose a loved one at christmass.pm me if you want to get the ball running.

bogart20

5 Year Member
Thank you that is so nice :cool:
But I couldn't accept. But just the thought is the best Xmas gift I got this year 😁
But maybe there is someone on here with a star of some sort, older Burmese or Sri Lanka for sale, one that is just old enough to go to a vet and get help if something goes wrong. maybe we can work something out?
Do you think it's a better idea to get a tort that can handle my local temps easier?
Or one that is easier to keep in captivity?
What makes stars so hard to keep in captivity?

tickle

5 Year Member
bogart20 said:
Thank you that is so nice :cool:
But I couldn't accept. But just the thought is the best Xmas gift I got this year 😁
But maybe there is someone on here with a star of some sort, older Burmese or Sri Lanka for sale, one that is just old enough to go to a vet and get help if something goes wrong. maybe we can work something out?
Do you think it's a better idea to get a tort that can handle my local temps easier?
Or one that is easier to keep in captivity?
What makes stars so hard to keep in captivity?

I'm on the hunt for you Bogart I will ting u one.were do u live?yes the temp isvery important I pump the heat in my house to 95 even if I'm just taking him out of the tank.Vegas were u got him from is very hot and dry.for hatchling stars I don't think a open table is good because it is so drafty and hard to keep a steady ambient temperature.this is the only time I use a glass aquarium.I can keep I nice high temp and humidity .just get a ger small fan to keep air circulating put it on a light timer so it not going all the time.block the glass with paper so he doesn't get spooked.a ten gallon or 15 gallon is fine cause hatchlings sleep most of the time any way.I would keep him in there from 4 to 6 months till I think he is ready.Bogart tell me were you live and I will find what u are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.