Indirect Sunlight ?

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
I have one of those kiddy pools and have it on a table outside. I put it at the back of my carport which is open , it is just a canopy . Will this type of "indirect" sunlight be enough ? I am in Arizona .

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Not too likely you will get the sun you need.

I had him out in the direct sunlight previously , and he basically spent the entire day in his "hide" . Now that he doesn't have our hot sun baking him he seems to be out and about quite a bit more . Triple digit heat is the rule rather than the exception here .

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It's not something you can really tell without testing, at least I wouldn't rely on it. I've gotten good readings on my back porch, out of direct sun.

When you say you had him in direct sun, was it in the kiddie pool? It's not unusual for them to hide during the hottest part of the day.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
It's not something you can really tell without testing, at least I wouldn't rely on it. I've gotten good readings on my back porch, out of direct sun.

When you say you had him in direct sun, was it in the kiddie pool? It's not unusual for them to hide during the hottest part of the day.

Yes , it was in the kiddy pool , I guess I could compare it to your back porch . It is just a metal canopy over the pool 6 ft. above it and open all around . If my blonde wife sat there all day she would get sunburn . :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have read the UV refracts and you do get some even in the shade. However, my UV meters barely read any UV at all in the shade.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I am trying to keep him outside more and more since that is where he will live when he is big enough . He still gets his UV light when he is inside . I kind of thought "hoped" that all around he would be getting the UV light needed this way . I guess I could "split the difference" and move it so half of it gets direct sun ? Then Speedy will have free choice to sit in the sun or not .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am trying to keep him outside more and more since that is where he will live when he is big enough . He still gets his UV light when he is inside . I kind of thought "hoped" that all around he would be getting the UV light needed this way . I guess I could "split the difference" and move it so half of it gets direct sun ? Then Speedy will have free choice to sit in the sun or not .

It is unlikely that your tortoise will sit in the sun in temps that are 95+. This could also overheat your little above ground pool.

Unless they have a cooler underground hide and use it, I don't leave small tortoises outside when the temps are climbing above the mid 90s. I sun them in the morning in summer, and then put them away with a soak on the way in. I don't know how big your tortoise is, but if it is still small like you avatar pic, he should not be spending hours a day outside anyway, regardless of the temperature. Babies do better when housed mostly inside, with short excursions to the great outdoors a few times a week.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
It is unlikely that your tortoise will sit in the sun in temps that are 95+. This could also overheat your little above ground pool.

Unless they have a cooler underground hide and use it, I don't leave small tortoises outside when the temps are climbing above the mid 90s. I sun them in the morning in summer, and then put them away with a soak on the way in. I don't know how big your tortoise is, but if it is still small like you avatar pic, he should not be spending hours a day outside anyway, regardless of the temperature. Babies do better when housed mostly inside, with short excursions to the great outdoors a few times a week.

He is small , just over a year old . I did put reptibark in the pool and soak it down with a gallon of water before he goes in . he also has a hide which is sitting on the low side of the pool so the strata remains moist there . He will be disappointed, but I will tell him "2 hours per day is max for outside !"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

He is small , just over a year old . I did put reptibark in the pool and soak it down with a gallon of water before he goes in . he also has a hide which is sitting on the low side of the pool so the strata remains moist there . He will be disappointed, but I will tell him "2 hours per day is max for outside !"

Be firm! Tough love…

Tell him if he wants to grow up big and strong, he needs to listen to his parents. :D

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Be firm! Tough love…

Tell him if he wants to grow up big and strong, he needs to listen to his parents. :D

Ha Ha ! I thought I was through being the "bad guy" now that our kids are all grown up !
t0175.gif
I will go tell Speedy to "get in the house !" Thanks Tom . :)