Indoor enclosure plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
I have two indoor enclosures as I have two Russians torts. I love having real plants in them to nibble but am having a hard time keeping them alive with the heat and humidity levels required. Anyone have luck keeping plants alive?

Check us out on Facebook
www.facebook.com/mrturtle527

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I could never keep plants alive inside... For a while I would just replace them as they were eaten or died off but now I use all fake plants. It's easier and cheaper.
If you find a trick to keeping live plants indoors let me know! I'd love to have a set up like that ;)

Sent from my VS840 4G using TortForum mobile app

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
My Sulcatas let the herb plants alive. I have basiliccum, thyme and rosemary in my enclosure. Because of the strong smell and taste they do not eat much of it. However, somethimes i see them nibbling a little bit. You can also plant some grasses to! :)

IMG_6168_zps69cf8c51.jpg

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Not sure how this would work with drier Russian habitat, but I have about a 6 inch substrate for my RF, gravel, coconut coir, then for bark. I plant spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) deep enough to keep the roots wet and it grows enough to keep up with nibbling and trampling

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
Ill try more herbs and grasses. They don't eat miluch of it so I think it's the temps and humidity levels - they vary on each tank as one is older and the other is just a baby still.
Thanks! If I have to ill break down and do fake ones but i hope I don't have to.

Check us out on Facebook

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
I would love to plan a few plants on my tortoise's enclosure but I think the plants need UVB don't they?

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
I don't have a UVB indoors and strangely all my plants are growing fine. I put in a seed mix about two weeks ago and they are growing like crazy.

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
I do have a UVB for my indoor enclosures but only turn it on for mr t when he doesn't get outside for the day and its on for 10-12 hours a day for baby t as he doesn't get outside as much yet since he is so tiny still.

Ill keep trying and get a seed mix as well.

Check us out on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.