Indoor light set up, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lisle Illinois
Hello, I am in need of some advice with my lighting set up for 3 female Sri Lankan Star hatchlings I am getting in February. I did not buy any lights yet. This question is only about UVA and UVB and not heating/basking in the enclosure.

I live in Chicago area and the climate for most of the year is not suitable for a Star tortoise in an outdoor enclosure. My Stars will be housed indoors most of the year if not all year round.

I read much lighting pages online different websites including uvguide.co.uk and startortoises.net/lighting-heating.html
and I am more confused than when I first started.

I read about UVA full spectrum is needed for their social behavior and activity levels and how a tortoise perceives their food and environment so I know that's important and is usually emitted along with the UVB.

I read about UVB natural sunlight, reptiles can detect UVB and seek it, it helps with giving them vitamin D3 etc.

My dilemma is how much is too much or too little? What a horror it would be if I later found out I was either;

Not giving enough UVB to my Star tortoise and she might develop stress and Metabolic bone disease (MBD) lack of low blood calcium D3.

Or what if I was giving too much radiation from intense UVB causing tissue damage, eye damage, or other problems.

So far I am interested in the new T-5 HO (high output) UVB tubes These new T-5 HO bulbs emit twice as much light and UVB as the traditional T-8 bulbs. T-5 HO Reptisuns are available in 5.0 and 10.0 UVB strengths. Reptisuns are high quality bulbs made in Germany.

Zoo Med started advertising their new Reptisun T-5 HO (5.0 and 10.0 UVB strengths) tubes for reptiles in Nov 2012

These are new in Europe and I have only found a couple places in USA online that sell them, like Big Apple and Pet Mountain.

Then I found, Zilla Desert 50 UVB bulbs Desert 50 T5 fluorescent bulbs with a UVB output of 50 microwatts per second that says it will surpass the competition by producing more UVB towards the wavelengths where vitamin D3 is most effectively synthesized. But it doesn't say HO high output like the ZooMed Raptisun?

Do you recommend Zilla products over the ZooMed Raptisun?

I am concerned if the 10.0 UVB is too strong and could damage their skin and eyes of a hatchling. Should I just use the 5.0 UVB strength for my hatchlings instead of the 10.0 UVB strength?

Next question; so i understand that it could be unsafe to have too much intense UVB light but what about too much UVA full spectrum light? Is there such thing as too much UVA light?

I have a 4'x4' closed enclosure, its like a small indoor greenhouse. I was thinking of finding one 36" Reptisun T-5 HO 10.0 UVB strength fluorescent tube or the Zilla 50 T5, and one 36" Zilla Daylight full-spectrum T5 bulb 6,700K nanometer range.

So for my UVA and UVB lighting set up I would have only 2-36" T5 bulbs in a 4'x4' enclosure one UVA and one UVB or that double fixture below so 2 UVBs?.

Thank you and Merry Christmas :D
Patrick

View attachment 34223

View attachment 34224

View attachment 34222

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't really help with the lighting. I'm not sure how much they need as far as if a MVB is too much for them. However, I live in Chicago. When it's summer time, you do need to get them outside. Our weather is warm enough for them to be out for at least three months, usually more. Hopefully others will be on soon to answer your light question.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
wellington said:
I can't really help with the lighting. I'm not sure how much they need as far as if a MVB is too much for them. However, I live in Chicago. When it's summer time, you do need to get them outside. Our weather is warm enough for them to be out for at least three months, usually more. Hopefully others will be on soon to answer your light question.

I agree the MVB might be too much for very young baby hatchlings, I guess I agree with the hot Chicago summers too but this summer 2013 they will still be quite delicate so I think if I do have them outside it will just be for a few hours and under supervision until they are older. Baby hatchlings are very sensitive and delicate. Thanks for your reply.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I recently switched to the T-5 Ho 12% Arcadia for my leopards. I much prefer these to MVB. I have CHE's on all the time.

I'm in N.Central Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.