Indoor / outdoor tortoise split time?

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
south Texas
So I have read that tortoises get really comfortable with their habitat and stressed out when moved to new habitats - I don't allow mine to free roam, but I do bathe them outside in a tall tub they can't see through so they get some uvb exposure (I have redfoots).

My plan was to leave them out in the mornings and bring them in when I come home for lunch - they are too small to live outside 24/7 but I do want them to get natural sunlight and be allowed to graze. However it seems everyone has their torts in a permanent indoor or outdoor habitat - so is moving them between indoor and outdoor habitats daily too stressful to outweigh the benefits of being outside? I want to do what is best for them.

daniellenc

Maryland
A lot of people do it so if you have a safe outdoor enclosure with shade and plenty of water give it a shot.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
Yes, a nice little shaded, escape proof tort garden that I have been building - they have been out for supervised roam time quite a bit but I notice that when I bring them indoors they pace their indoor enclosure. Just want to make sure I'm not doing more harm than good. Thanks for the input!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Mine are very used to the shuffle by now. We put them outside on nice days, soak them in the bathtub, and they sleep in a different room and they aren't bothered at all. Granted we've moved homes 4 times in the past year so they really don't have much choice about being constantly disrupted. I think it helps that they are all handled often and don't mind the human interaction as part of their day.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Tortoise do get used to be moved back and forth. Younger tortoises do seem to do better with limited outdoor times. Generally about 1 hr outside per inch of shell length is the best guideline I have heard. Adult tortoises do best outside full time if weather in your area permits.

For younger tortoises, I take them out when temps are appropriate, and then soak them when I bring them back in. That helps rehydrate them from their outside time. I then place them back in their indoor enclosure with fresh food for the day. I believe they quickly become used to the two enclosures as an extension of their daily routine. Not too much different than taking out to soak them, then returning to the same enclosure, really.