Tortoise bond?

yillt

Hello,
Do you think that an indoor tortoise has a stronger bond with their owner than an outdoor tortoise? And I usually take my (indoor) tortoise out of his cage for a soak n' stroke, if he lived outside would I still be able to do this? Thanks

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
I do find that my tortoises enjoy my company more when they are indoors during the winter. When they are outside for the summer, they become a bit more timid when I approach them. I think it's still possible to maintain a "bond" with them if they're outdoors, especially if they continue to associate you with bringing good things (like food and neck rubs). I did have one redfoot who was so incredibly friendly that he loved my company in any situation (indoor, outdoor) and he always extended his neck to me for rubs, even if he was at the vet getting his blood taken haha.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I do find that my tortoises enjoy my company more when they are indoors during the winter. When they are outside for the summer, they become a bit more timid when I approach them. I think it's still possible to maintain a "bond" with them if they're outdoors, especially if they continue to associate you with bringing good things (like food and neck rubs). I did have one redfoot who was so incredibly friendly that he loved my company in any situation (indoor, outdoor) and he always extended his neck to me for rubs, even if he was at the vet getting his blood taken haha.
My tort will come and sit by the side of me inside or out - until he realises I'm on his patch and he starts to barge me to get me out!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they are reptiles they have reptile brains they don't form bonds like mammals do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A tortoise who sees you constantly in an indoor enclosure as you walk back and forth will certainly stay more desensitized to human interaction than one who sees you less often on an outdoor enclosure.

I don't think it has anything to do with any sort of "bond".

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thnk it has more to do with the human putting in the time, whether indoor or out. It's easier if they are indoors, specially in the winter time. Mine now live in a shed of their own, no I don't spend as much time out there with them as I would if they were in my house. It's actually too hot in their shed for me. However, they should always be housed outside when and where possible. Not fair to them to keep them housed inside just because the human wants to make it easier for them to participate with them more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
However, they should always be housed outside when and where possible. Not fair to them to keep them housed inside just because the human wants to make it easier for them to participate with them more.

I don't agree. These are our pets. If someone wants to go to the trouble and expense of keeping their tortoise inside, and they correctly meet all of the tortoises needs, I have no problem with them keeping the tortoise inside so they can be closer to it more of the time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I disagree. No one, well most, can't give enough room inside. I feel all torts should live outside. Well at least during the warm months. If you want to bring them in at night or during the cold months, that's fine, but once they get big enough to live outside during warm months that's where they should get to live.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Charlie has become more sociable since he moved outside many years ago. I guess it is a type of bond, even if he only approaches me to see if I've brought a treat. I think it has to do with feeling confident in his surroundings and having more control over his life. Less stress = more sociability.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
According to my experience outdoor animals have a stronger bond. Budgies, tortoises, rabbits, cats,... all my pets are more sociable outside.
I guess if I'm always around I'm just boring, but if I only visit them a few times a day it's something special, they know they're getting treats and attention whenever they see me.

M

Maggie Cummings

For those that know me and Bob, I believe in my deepest part of what brain I have left that we had a bond. For what ever a Sulcata is capable of, he far surpassed it. Just read some Bob stories, with pictures to prove I didn't make it up. Do a search as, my 2 previous computers have blown up and the copies of the stories that I had are in 2 blown motherboards....
It's hard for me to talk about stuff like that still. I spent 80% of my time playing with him and socializing him. He played soccer with me using an old 5 gallon bucket. He would butt it with his head to get it to me. He had pix with Santa. He was taken around the city and to schools and kept it up until he got too big for 2 people to maneuver, then he got sick. He's only been gone for 4 months. It feels like yesterday. But bonding doesn't just happen you have to spend time with the animal and get to really understand him, and maybe a bond will form and maybe it won't. If it's a Sulcata strawberries help...:)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
For those that know me and Bob, I believe in my deepest part of what brain I have left that we had a bond. For what ever a Sulcata is capable of, he far surpassed it. Just read some Bob stories, with pictures to prove I didn't make it up. Do a search as, my 2 previous computers have blown up and the copies of the stories that I had are in 2 blown motherboards....
It's hard for me to talk about stuff like that still. I spent 80% of my time playing with him and socializing him. He played soccer with me using an old 5 gallon bucket. He would butt it with his head to get it to me. He had pix with Santa. He was taken around the city and to schools and kept it up until he got too big for 2 people to maneuver, then he got sick. He's only been gone for 4 months. It feels like yesterday. But bonding doesn't just happen you have to spend time with the animal and get to really understand him, and maybe a bond will form and maybe it won't. If it's a Sulcata strawberries help...:)
My heart breaks for you. I've had some special animal bonds. I had a cat that played hide and seek. I had a bunch of guinea pigs but one in particular was smarter than the rest and could be trained to do tricks. Just because the species isn't known to have these qualities doesn't mean there aren't exceptional animals.

I also know that the more time and effort you spend on a pet, the more you'll get back.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
you think you bonding with your torts, in their eyes, you are just a free veggie vending machine with fat juice fingers

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I disagree. No one, well most, can't give enough room inside. I feel all torts should live outside. Well at least during the warm months. If you want to bring them in at night or during the cold months, that's fine, but once they get big enough to live outside during warm months that's where they should get to live.
I agree maybe that's were the term "love it to death " came from or lack of freedom.

surfergirl

I definitely think I have a bond with my sully. He comes running(well tortoise running) every time he sees me even though I give him Bermuda hay and not the romaine or weeds he wants. Our bond may only be as deep as his dependency on my care and my pleasure to see him thrive but it is still a bond. the relationship that is mutually beneficial. He has never walked away from me, most of the time I have to coax him to get off my shoes so I can leave his space. :)
I have known some people who are tougher to bond with......

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have a real simple way to determine if an animal has a bond with me or not. if I was to die in front of the animal. would it eat me? I have no doubt my tortoise would start eating me.