Indoor Play Time

missjmg19

Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Atlantic USA
So......as we move into fall/rainy/cold weather in Maryland (soon to be followed by winter/snow) we are planning an alternative to outdoor time since Twizzler live indoors regularly, but goes outside with us every afternoon now. I bought a new vinyl table cloth that will cover whole floor of one area. This way there is no risk to him grabbing anything from floor (or peeing on my carpet!). Obviously we will sit there with him during "play/exercise time." Want ideas of what to put out on the mat each time so he can still explore like he does outside. Was thinking of some edible weeds/snacks so that he can "find" them while wandering. But, any other thoughts? Just want things he can come across so he isn't just randomly walking around since he really does love exploring outside.

Actually, they love to just walk outside. It's fun for them. They walk super fast when excited and I guess that's fun for them. So just take him out and watch him and that all he needs.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Plants and food are good to have an enclosure by way of enrichment.

I am cautious of the benefit of just getting him out of the enclosure to run about, even in a safe space. Your tort won't have the lamps or the substrate or places to hide.

Also this wandering can make the properly heated and humid enclosure seem confined and you may then have a tort that's discovered it's proper home is too small.

How big is your tort's proper enclosure? It should be 4' x 8' and your tort shouldn't need to exercise elsewhere.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Plants and food are good to have an enclosure by way of enrichment.

I am cautious of the benefit of just getting him out of the enclosure to run about, even in a safe space. Your tort won't have the lamps or the substrate or places to hide.

Also this wandering can make the properly heated and humid enclosure seem confined and you may then have a tort that's discovered it's proper home is too small.

How big is your tort's proper enclosure? It should be 4' x 8' and your tort shouldn't need to exercise elsewhere.

My enclosure is the size you mention. What would the difference be in letting him "play" indoors vs. when we take him outside for 30 minutes each day to get natural sun and we let him wander around? He still adjusts fine when we put him back in his house after soaking him. We were told by everyone that if he would be living inside (when we first got him) that we should take him outside as often as possible.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Outside is your tort walking on earth with plants, grass and/or bushes? Or just on bare concrete which is little different to a plastic sheet indoors, I suppose.

Outdoors he benefits from UVB regardless of how cloudy it is. Indoors he will be away from his lamps.

I can see benefit in going outdoors, just not so much on taking out of a proper sized enclosure with lamps and plants to an indoor mat.