Fat Russian tortoise?

Britnigilbert

5 Year Member
My tortoise rover is a pig and he bulges out of his shell can they be fat? I feed him a regular diet but he is so pudgy literally if he is wandering around on the floor I have to vacuum first because he will try to eat anything on the ground if I don't watch he eats carpet he will even try to get in to the cat food I have to turtle proof my house! He is a little issue is he missing something in his diet or just a piggy? I have other tortoises and they do not do this I have had him since he was a baby he's 3 and he has always eaten anything he can fit in his mouth!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
He needs a larger enclosure and a better diet. It is not easy to make them fat, but it can be done. In the warmer months you ought to have a very large, but safe, enclosure outdoors for him so he can burn off the excess calories.

Sometimes they eat abnormal non-food items to compensate for a deficiency. What do you feed him? What is your supplement routine? What do you use for UV?

I would not let a tortoise run around loose like that. Its just a question of time before it ends in disaster.

Can we see a pic of the enclosure? And the tortoise?

Britnigilbert

5 Year Member
I feed him at night and I soak him when I get home then he runs around til I go to bed he has a UVB hood light and he is in a 20 long aquarium but my boyfriend and I are building a huge turtle table he will be in in a few weeks hopfully he's only 3 inches and I can attach pics later I'm at school

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It would be much better if you put the food down first thing in the morning. That way he has all day to walk around and not get fat. They need a lot of exercise or else not a lot of food.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Why is this under adoptions? Maybe a mod could move it, so it'd get more views.