Russian tortoise problems...

Leith

Location (City and/or State)
Washington, DC
Hello everyone! I am brand new to the forum, and joined because I need some advice for my Russian Tortoise.
I got him a few years ago. We got him from a pet store. Under the advice of the pet store, unfortunately I didn’t know any better but to feed him a diet of just plain romaine lettuce. He ate happily, so I thought he was fine. As he got older, I started to notice some problems on his shell such as cracks between his scutes and the top layer of his shell chipping away. I did some research and found out this was due to malnutrition, which made sense. I now supplement his food with calcium (I am going to try a cuttlebone soon) and give him weekly soaks, but his shell doesn’t seem to be getting better. Another problem is that he refuses to eat anything but lettuce or cauliflower, which are both very low in nutrients. I have tried feeding him dandelions and a variety of greens, but he won’t eat. I posted some pictures below, and please tell me anything else you see wrong with him. Thank you and please help!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Sand is a big no no. Can cause impactions. Replace it with plain dirt or coconut coir or orchid bark. Keep trying to feed him a better diet. Chop it up tiny along with the foods he will eat and mix together and spritz with water. He will have to eat the good foods in order to eat the bad foods. As he takes to the better foods, start taking away the bad foods.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcoome

Tortoises are extremely stubborn. They knkw what they like and they like what they know

To introduce a new food to your tort, you are going to have to be tough. Think like a parent whose toddler wants only to eat chocolate and chips... it can't happen as it's not healthy and only one person can change things which is the person supplying the food. It's not easy and you have to take it slowly

1. Chop the foods your tort will eat very small and wet them
2. Chop a tiny amount of new food very small and mix it with first lot. The water will stick it together so your tort can't avoid it.
3. If your tort refuses the food, leave it place for 24 hours and then replace with exactly the same mixture in exactly the same proportions.
4. If your tort eats it all, at the next feed increase the amount of healthy food very slightly and decrease the amount of unhealthy food.

A hungry tortoise will eat, but you have to be strong and must not give in. A tortoise can go a long time without food and come to not harm, but it cannot go without water. Daily 30 minute soaks are essential to maintain hydration when your tort is not eating.

This process will take weeks, not days, but eventually you will have cut out the unhealthy and introduced the healthy foods to your tort's diet.

Shell deformity will not go away. It will become less obvious as the tort grows.

A tiny pinch of calcium powder should be sprinkled on food 3 days a week - no more as you can overdo it.

As you have discovered, there's a lot of outdated and incorrect information on the care of tortoises out on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly from some breeders and vets too.

I suggest you forget everything you were told by the pet store and read the TFO care sheets. We are fortunate to have species experts here who have shared the most up to date information on the correct way to raise each species in a healthy way.

You should read:

Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you all so much! I will try this.

Good luck with everything. I do notice that the tortoise pictured in the enclosure (if it is a real one -- can't tell for sure due to the lighting) is not a Russian Tortoise. What is that one? Also note that the enclosure is much too small for a tortoise the size of the one shown in the photo.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Good luck with everything. I do notice that the tortoise pictured in the enclosure (if it is a real one -- can't tell for sure due to the lighting) is not a Russian Tortoise. What is that one? Also note that the enclosure is much too small for a tortoise the size of the one shown in the photo.
I'm pretty sure that's a plastic hide that is made to look like a tortoise shell.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The tortoise's beak looks a little overgrown. Find a piece of broken cement and feed him on that. The scraping will help trim the beak down.

Your enclosure is a very nice one, however, it's just not big enough for a full grown Russian tortoise. They need a lot of room. Some folks have taken old book cases, removed the shelves and use that as an enclosure.

Leith

Washington, DC
The tortoise's beak looks a little overgrown. Find a piece of broken cement and feed him on that. The scraping will help trim the beak down.

Your enclosure is a very nice one, however, it's just not big enough for a full grown Russian tortoise. They need a lot of room. Some folks have taken old book cases, removed the shelves and use that as an enclosure.

Ok - will a cuttebone do the same? because i have ordered one to give to him

Also, it is fairly easy for me to expand his enclosure, as it is made of wood:)
Thanks!